VW Camper Van Dragster... one for CP

Started by Andy, June 01, 2010, 03:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Linked to this by his missus who's a photographer.. must admit saw this and wondered if CP would be doing the same?

http://www.dragzine.com/news/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-a-volkswagen-dragster/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">Dragzine Linky

Big Mouse

Wayne is a real nice bloke, top body work man but mad as a brush when it comes to vw's

He came to me at the Bug Jam a couple of years ago to borrow a car cover to put over this during a rain storm; it was just a rolling shell then

Gator

how much of that is VW

yanks weekend was rotten with Dubs

philoldsmobile

the badge and perhaps the headlights?

Cunning Plan

I am sure that is a beast, an absolute weapon.

Quoting: philoldsmobile
the badge and perhaps the headlights?

You still fancy a splitty dude?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

The door handles looking good for being original :P

You could also say the motors in the right place

FUBAR

LOL that looks ridiculous bet its fast tho

Quoting: Gator

Yeah, wasn't great, it is supposed to be American stuff really, I don't mind a bit of invasion but there were loads of em.

that blue 25 window splitty was nice tho that is assuming I counted the windows right.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

HardRockCamaro

Just pray for hot weather so they all overheat on the way next time...  

Or side winds so they have to fight to keep them on the road...

Nazi Clattervagen

Motorama

I was at Wayne's place, The Intergalactic Custom Shop, on Saturday collecting some parts, he's a top bloke.

The Dragsterbus looks a fair bit different from those pics now, side panels fitted between the cab and rear wheels, lace paint on the roof and some gold leaf lettering as well as some mechanical mods

Andy

Quoting: Motorama
The Intergalactic Custom Shop

if Carlsberg did shop names...

Gator

Quoting: HardRockCamaro

Just pray for hot weather so they all overheat on the way next time...  

Or side winds so they have to fight to keep them on the road...

Nazi Clattervagen

funny you should say that i "bugged out" and went home after one of em tried leaping the armco there were some decent side winds at the time

there was just endless track stoppages coz of all the non yank rubbish

Cunning Plan

FUBAR

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Cunning Plan
You still fancy a splitty dude?

I would, but they are way more expensive than i'd be willing to pay, there are other cars in that price bracket i'd rather have.

i'd not mind an old wedge to tool arround in but again, the reality is i've just not go sufficient use for one to make it worthwhile.

Roadkill

They lie on their backs in oil, get pulled from side to side by their brakes and greet steep hills with a nervous sigh but when you are truly in love nothing really matters.

HardRockCamaro

I didn't realise they had been in continuous production for 60 years in one form or another, I thought they stopped making them and recently started again?  

I must admit I've seen some really nice looking ones, it's just the engine that lets them down (for me).
The same applies to the beetle, but even with a better engine no way would I be seen dead driving Hitlers car...  

I'll stick to the allies engineering!

Cunning Plan

Hitlers car..

Common idea - it is true that Hitler begun the work at Wolfsberg in Germany to produce a cheap affordable car for the masses utilizing some of the technology gained in the war. Ferdinand Porcshe was commissioned with designing the Beetle.

When the war finished, the Beetle was still a prototype. Allied / Brittish commanders took control of Wolfsberg and were given the task of mobilizing the country again - to do this they used the prototype Beetle and punted them out in the millions.

The Beetle was not big enough for moving rubble and people around, so the 'Transporter' / T2 / bus / Splitty was designed to run using parts from the Beetle.

The engineering was designed so that people with no tools after the war, could still maintain one to some degree.

So, it was an order by Hitler, designed by Porche, produced and developed by the Brittish!

Apologies for the terrible spelling, but I was mid-wank and whilst waiting for a page to load, I loaded MKB and had to reply..

HardRockCamaro

I was mid-wank and whilst waiting for a page to load, I loaded MKB and had to reply..

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: "Wikipedia"
The re-opening of the factory is largely accredited to British Army officer Major Ivan Hirst (1916–2000).[19] Hirst was ordered to take control of the heavily-bombed factory, which the Americans had captured. His first task was to remove an unexploded bomb which had fallen through the roof and lodged itself between some pieces of irreplaceable production equipment; if the bomb had exploded, the Beetle's fate would have been sealed.

So close...

I'd like to find the person who built the detonator on that bomb and smack 'em across the head...

Gator

Apologies for the terrible spelling, but I was mid-wank and whilst waiting for a page to load, I loaded MKB and had to reply..

ha ha exellent

FUBAR

I'd like to find the person who built the detonator on that bomb and smack 'em across the head...

On a similar but opposite note:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10212890.stm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10212890.stm

That one waited approx 65 years to inflict its pain... albeit on some unfortunate construction workers this time.

Aside from the obvoius unfortunate circumstances that those 3 men will most probably be the last casualties of World War II (amazing thought really !!) I find it simply mind boggling that a bomb can lay dormant for 65 years just underground & then still be capable of exploding

Roadkill

Cunning Plan

Quoting: FUBAR
On a similar but opposite note:

Crazy that they are still there.. How did they get covered over? I guess another bomb exploded covering it with rubble etc..

Surprised there aren't more found in England