1986 350ci manual Iroc breaking

Started by Rocky, July 19, 2010, 04:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky

Most bits still available
Let me know, Headliner looks brand new.

Andy

Speaking as a complete noob, that dress up kit, although on a 350, would the rocker covers fit a 305?

More out of interest than a lead to a purchase sorry, unless doing a steering wheel swap is an easy undertaking from a '91 to pre-air bag version?

Rocky

They would fit if yours isnt centre bolt covers.
You can fit an earlier wheel on yours you would need a boss and wheel.

ianjpage

whats up with it out of curiosity?

philoldsmobile

when did it have the 350 swapped in? any idea what the engine is from?

Rocky

Not long ago, no idea what it came from. Its taxed and tested but customer bought it for the manual trans and its quite rusty underneith, Not worth putting money into it pictures look better than it is.

philoldsmobile

yeah, sadly the cali built cars do like to rust. what areas have gone, or is it just general?

Rocky

Doors have been bodged with glass fibre and filler, wings aren't too bad. bit on rear arches, inner hatch lid, underneath looks ok just bits like fuel tank etc is covered in surface rust, Its just been neglected unfortunately.
TBH I havnt jacked it up to have a good look as most bits are sold already.
Phil you might be able to answer this one are the alloy rear drums anything special? Had them on a few cars and someone in the States said they are very rare.

Jamieg285

Quoting: Rocky
are the alloy rear drums anything special? Had them on a few cars and someone in the States said they are very rare.

I'm not sure rare is the right answer, but un-common and sought after (in the US at least, not sure how well known they are over here)

AFAIK, you can't get aftermarket ally ones, and not many cars were given them (3rd gens are the only one's I've heard of), which is why people wanted them.

I'd be interested in a set - how much would you want for them?  PM me.

philoldsmobile

Phil you might be able to answer this one are the alloy rear drums anything special?

no, not really. fairly rare, but not particularly desirable.

the big thing people chase after are un-siezed alloy rear calipers, (most cars with rear discs had iron calipers, heavier but more reliable) or (even more so) the 1LE  / TTA front calipers.

alloy drums were also available aftermarket, but they aren't especially good as they quite prone to distortion, both the after market and genuine ones.

is there enough of the car left to be viable to get back on the road? if so, how much for the complete car?

HardRockCamaro

I was under the impression the alloy callipers were a 1LE only thing and were dual piston too?

I'm surprised the manual box hasn't died with the 350 up front, can't have been in there long...

EDGE

i know someone selling a t5 trans it thats of any help to anyone ?

FUBAR

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
alloy callipers

Nope, my car has alloy rear callipers... the old ones were siezed tho so they got changed
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Rocky

Thought so, just some people I know in the States are after the drums which I dont find as good TBH like Phil says. I have had a few in with them and there is no noticable difference just weight saving I suppose.

The engine is supposed to be pretty new its done 9000 miles since fitted. Gearbox has been done with new clutch etc so is good.
A customer has bought it for the trans to put in his Iroc and he wants to get a bit of money back through parting it out so has asked me to do it.
Most of the car is stripped now anyway.

HardRockCamaro

There are all sorts of weird variations out there.

Mine was running 1E front hubs which had different bearings.

Rocky

Indeed they do, Mines running 14" rotors with 6 piston calipers.

Jamieg285

Indeed they do, Mines running 14" rotors with 6 piston calipers.

I don't think you can get away with calling yours stock though  

Roadkill

I'm trying to think if there's anything I need but the only thing that springs to mind is the black plastic cap off of the washer tank - I got a new replacement but it's just too loose and keeps popping off.

What are the sunvisors like - do they stay up ??

Also maybe interested in the drums if Jamie's not.

If you're taking the drums off there's also a spring which I need that you can't get with the hardware kit . . . . . . .

Jamieg285

Quoting: Roadkill
If you're taking the drums off there's also a spring which I need that you can't get with the hardware kit . . . . .

Damn, why didn't I think of that!!!

Roadkill

Quoting: Jamieg285
Damn, why didn't I think of that!!!

I only need one of them - currently got a bit of bent wire acting as a replacement on one drum.

Jamieg285

I keep re-using the old ones.  Not sure how old they are now, but they have seen better days.

Roadkill

I wondered what the rattling was coming from my drum . . . . turns out that spring was missing and the pressed plate that holds the shoes apart had dropped out and was loose inside the bottom of the drum !

Rocky

Sunvisers are good light grey in colour, Roof lining is also good if anyone needs one.
The customer wants to seel the rear end complete.
If you take a pic of the spring you need I may have one somewhere else.

Roadkill

The customer wants to seel the rear end complete.

What ratio's it running, LSD ?

How much for the axle - just out of curiousity ?

Sunvisers are good light grey in colour

Damn, need black.

What about the washer lid ?

If you take a pic of the spring you need I may have one somewhere else