Revised MOT Test.

Started by F Body, November 14, 2011, 07:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

To keep up to date with modern technology, new checks will be added in respect of HID ( high Intensity Discharge ) and LED ( Light Emitting Diode ) headlamps.

HID lamps use a gas discharge system and require a ballast, igniter and a special high voltage circuit

They have two electrodes in a glass tube filled with Xenon gas and metal salts. When the high voltage is applied the electrodes  form an arc which ionizes the xenon atoms and metallic salts creating light.

HID lights are up to three times brighter than normal bulbs and therefore have the potential to dazzle other drivers. To combat this new vehicles fitted with HID lighting must have either a headlamp levelling or rear suspension levelling system and a headlamp washing system.

Previously aftermarket kits ( as fitted by many ) were excluded from this requirement. However the DOT considers that after market kits should meet the same safety requirements

Therefore effective 31st December 2011 in order to pass the MOT test ALL vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID lights will also need to be fitted with a headlamp cleaning and levelling system

These systems are also mandatory for ALL vehicles fitted with LED headlights.

There are a couple of other minor changes planned, finally you will have to have a working rear number plate light and  the main one being a electical test of any trailer socket fitted to a vehicle, any non compliance will result in failure

FUBAR

Quoting: F Body
Therefore effective 31st December 2011 in order to pass the MOT test ALL vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID lights will also need to be fitted with a headlamp cleaning and levelling system  

These systems are also mandatory for ALL vehicles fitted with LED headlights.

Thats a tad unrealistic isn't it...

you will have to have a working rear number plate light and the main one being a electical test of any trailer socket fitted to a vehicle

Thats a good change.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

Cunning Plan

finally you will have to have a working rear number plate light

Working number plate lights have always been required, haven't they?

My Mondeo failed one year for a number plate light that was loose and would loose connection and go out..

Soooo glad I didn't buy one of the Mondeos I looked at, it had an after-market HID conversion which immediately put me off - I considered if they had been messing around with the headlights, what else have they 'ruined'.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Soooo glad I didn't buy one of the Mondeos I looked at, it had an after-market HID conversion which immediately put me off - I considered if they had been messing around with the headlights, what else have they 'ruined'

Fitted some to my old car, it consisted of drilling a hole in the back of the light bulb access cover and sticking a bit of stickback plastic with the ballast to the underside. Really simple fit, but not proper as they recommend them being fitted with larger cable for the initial current draw of the bulb arcing. I stuck with them for about 6 months, then one of the ballast units gave up and the whole lot came out and back to those 'Nightbreaker' bulbs.

Mine also 'failed' on the rear reg light bulb. He passed it but told me to change it, which I did. As it turned out the festoon(sp) bulb cap had come off the end.

HardRockCamaro

I thought a rear number plate was mandatory?
If not required for the MOT is certainly a fail on the road a la plod.

As for HID conversions of std headlamps, I don't agree with the concept of doing so.  The reflector and globe are designed to work together and slapping a HID bulb in there simply gives a poor light pattern with bad leakage and they are dazzling to other vehicles.  Shouldn't be allowed unless they have the correct HID, e marked projector housings to go with them..

Andy

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
As for HID conversions of std headlamps, I don't agree with the concept of doing so. The reflector and globe are designed to work together and slapping a HID bulb in there simply gives a poor light pattern with bad leakage and they are dazzling to other vehicles. Shouldn't be allowed unless they have the correct HID, e marked projector housings to go with them.

Learnt from the errors of my ways...

The light is soo good though!

F Body

Well I have to admit that when I fitted LED side lights to the Z28, I found some fairly inexspensive HID units with good feedback, didn't buy them because I rarely drive the car in the dark anyway

VIPER

From an MOT inspector

Hold steady, this is not how I have read it and I am a tester..

Thee are grey areas between construction and use and MOT's, the new manual that we have seen with regards to testing seems to state that IF the car has self levelling and or washers fitted then they must work, therefore if the car has no provision for them then the car is fine, same for aftermarket, they will not be failed for lack of the above.

You have always had to have an illuminated rear number plate.

The tow bar electrical test is for EU style 16 pin not UK style (yet)

There are a raft of other changes including SRS lamps lit are going t be a fail etc, if you need more info I will try and clear it up although we have not officially been given the updates yet.