Staples to naples 2007

Started by philoldsmobile, June 27, 2006, 12:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

nope.. has to be (in the judges opinnion) on a TOTAL budget of less than £100, for both car and any mods, although you can get away with a through service on top of that..

otherwise you could just buy a dodgy sierra, and fit a totaly rebuilt powertrain to it..

philoldsmobile

this is why thinks like the skoda are good...

you can buy a set of 4 spare wheels from a scrappy with legal tyres for about £20, and add £30 of spotlights to it, and still be clearly under budget..

i think comedy items like MDF spoilers, dulux paint jobs, and gaffa tape stripes are exempt from the ruling though....

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile
otherwise you could just buy a dodgy sierra, and fit a totaly rebuilt powertrain to it..

i think edge was going along the lines of once the car is on the rallye that we could [cough] add some goodies when in europe

EDGE

yeah, thats what i thought,

what i ment also though was, if the head gasket goes, does the cost of that get taken in to account...

I mean, we could build a KICK ASS powertrain then leave it in the car for a year covered in oil and shite and it would look trashed but be UBER... i mean... if i built it, it wouldn't "cost" anything... or be visible...

EDGE

philoldsmobile

i seriously doubt it.....

the whole spirit of the ting is as low budget as possible... even if it were allowed, its not in the spirit of the event..

philoldsmobile

Quoting: EDGE

what i ment also though was, if the head gasket goes, does the cost of that get taken in to account...

dont honestly know. i think they check the car if yo get there, and are likely to look for changed other than repairs when you get there..

leaving without nos and arriving with it is unlikley to be allowed..

Giblets

They won't be too strict on light mods fellas.

I know guys going this year who are actually fitting gullwing doors to a Nissan Stanza!

Thats gonna cost them a bit, but as long as it's in the spirit of the event, the organisers will be cool.

I paid £100 for my heap and am planning to add £40 worth of transfers to it, plus change the cambelt (they won't check anyway), so there's nothing to say we can't buy a car for £100 and tinker mechanically to get her in sound running shape.

Just make sure it looks scuffed and grubby on the outside though.

Luckily mine had a sufficient ding down the side that prevents the drivers door from opening, and the front wing is mangled.

Still sailed through it's MOT with just one bulb change required.

Probably gonna drive it back, although most teams scrap 'em in Naples and fly back.

EDGE

Quoting: EDGE

I mean, we could build a KICK ASS powertrain then leave it in the car for a year covered in oil and shite and it would look trashed but be UBER... i mean... if i built it, it wouldn't "cost" anything... or be visible...

EDGE

i know what you mean phil... i was just trying to show hat i ment... i suck at that sometimes....

Lada for teh win !!!!!11

EDGE

philoldsmobile

yeah, i think rebuilt engines would be frowned upon (or simply not playing ball, even if you could get away with it) but cosmetic things are fine..

EDGE

that seems to make sense :)

EDGE

Incursus

ianjpage

interested depending on funds and whats going on with other things then!!