Dean broke another bit

Started by Sammy Lou, July 10, 2006, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy Lou

Yes thats right on Saturday Dean actually broke another bit on the Caddy, apparently it is to do with the Rad some hose thingy, but i am not to sure all i know is it is broke

55starchief

I thought it was the exhaust

Sammy Lou

Jo

What on the way back from Edges meet?

ianjpage

Hmm another job to add to the list then!!

Roadkill

Two and a half hours on the motorway, stationary in the heat obviously didn't do the bottom hose any good.

When I checked the water on Sunday I put just under 2 Galons in her !!!

Anyway, the hose had given out . . . I stripped it off Sunday night (pipe had basically melted . . .clips were corroded )

A replacement was found thanks to a helpful chap in "Motorserv", not cheap at £12.49 but it's sorted now.

. . . . .

. . . . .

. . . . .  Unfortunately, One of the two (out of three) remaining bolts holding the heavy ole generator in place has now stripped its thread meaning that the entire weight (and tension of the V-Belt) is all on one little bolt.

This is cooking the bearings in the Genny . . . . But that's tonights job . . .

Roadkill

Also the exhaust pipe hadn't sheared - it's just Ill-fitting.

It's a replacement downpipe but is too large at the manifold end (so it blows) and it's too small at the other (it's just pushed into the first muffler).

All what happened was it popped out of the muffler . . . I've pushed it back, tightened the clamps a little and applyed exhaust putty . . . seems to be holding fine.

I'm guessing the other side is the same . . . but that'll do for now.

ianjpage

lol poor old car needs some TLC

Roadkill

O.K.

It's not just the hose what went . . . . Looks like the water pump has failed, too.

ianjpage

Quoting: Roadkill
. Looks like the water pump has failed, too.

Bummer........easy to get or not???

Roadkill

I'm looking now . . . . I do need to investigate further tomorrow, though, first . . .

55starchief

Looks like the water pump has failed

would guess this was caused by the generator being broken. It probably needs new bearings which any engineering shop should be able to do mate

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
It probably needs new bearings which any engineering shop should be able to do mate

Have you ever re-furbed a water pump ?

It's really not that easy . . . Normally the pump itself is an enclosed barrel of pressed bearings . . with seals at either end.

This itself is pressed into the housing, then has the rotor pressed onto that . . . . there's also normally Graphite bearings in there, too . . .

55starchief

Have you ever re-furbed a water pump ?

I had the pontiac one looked at by my mate who owns a shop and he said it wasnt that dificult to replace the bearings.

Roadkill

Unless it's massively different from the three i've previously rebuilt it's unlikely without the proper stuff.

Kanter sell them . . Water pump (exch. or add $150 dep)          $175

55starchief

The pontiac one is very simple. just the impeller in a housing