Demystifying nitrous oxide.

Started by F Body, August 01, 2006, 02:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Gotta admit that I've never really bothered to find out how it works

Came across this on the net :

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/07/bottle.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">

EDGE

Quoting: F Body
but the evaporative cooling effects of the liquid-gas conversion (nitrous boils at -128 degrees F) also drops the temperature and thus increases the density of any atmospheric air in the engine's induction path.
This is often referred to as "chemical intercooling", and while the nomenclature may not be all that accurate, the effect itself makes nitrous oxide a great companion for high-compression naturally-aspirated engines, forced-induction powerplants, and diesels.

this is what I'm using onthe Saleen, only I'm using methanol as its more insurance friendly

EDGE

Roadkill

and

Eh ?

Good article - although I must admit I knew most of that already.

- 4 teh win !!!1111 one one

ianjpage

makes interesting reading there!!

F Body

although this is rarely achieved in practice for a variety of reasons ??

and  

Well the artical didn't continue the reasons why which semed a little strange ?

Goatman

Lots of other factors involved. The higher VE (volumetric efficiency) is, the more effective a power adder like N2O will be. For example, a 125 shot system on a stock engine will probably give you a 75HP increase. Throw in a better intake manifold, 90-100HP. Toss in a more aggressive cam, and a hot ignition, now your close to the 125HP mark that the system advertises. It's all about getting air in and out. The more efficiently you can do that, the more effective your power adder will be.

Big Mouse

Ohh, if it were only that simple. The article only scratches the surface of how nitrous can be applied to the combustion engine.

"the potential for substance abuse is substantial"  What planet are these people on for feck sake

Goatman

Quoting: Big Mouse
"the potential for substance abuse is substantial"  What planet are these people on for feck sake
That's why I'm not a big fan of N2O. I've seen more god engines destoyed by that stuff, and I do mean destroyed. As in rods and pistons going through the oil pan.

55starchief

As with everything moderation is the key word. I was buildib=ng a little blown motor on the desktop dyno the other day and by using a little 25hp shot of NOS i could drop the supercharger boost down and create a flatter curve without loosing power. All i need now is the cash to build it and test

ianjpage

Quoting: 55starchief
All i need now is the cash to build it and test

Dont we all mate!

EDGE

the boost cooling from nitrous/methanol injection was a MAJOR part of my dissertation at uni... I have all the calculations at home but it really does work a treat.  I'll put a brief summary up later..... I'm sure you'll all be waiting on the edge of your seats

EDGE

Big Mouse

Quoting: Goatman
That's why I'm not a big fan of N2O. I've seen more god engines destoyed by that stuff, and I do mean destroyed. As in rods and pistons going through the oil pan.

Its true that there are people out there who ignore the most basic of safety principles when using gas.

There are many more factors to take into consideration than just how much gas you want to use - you need to flow test the nitrous system to see exactly how much gas you are flowing, most of the kits on the market are wildly inaccurate in their claims of bhp output. You need to confirm that the solenoids will flow the amount of gas through them that you need, will the pipe work flow that amount? are the hose connectors reducing flow? how to calculate jet sizes from constant pressure? how to calculate a drop in pressure over a timed run?

Knowing the exact air/fuel ratio is a must, you must also flow test your fuel pressure otherwise calculating your jet sizes is just pissing into the wind. The correct amount of retard timing, and understanding how to calculate the retard, is critical as is a progressive controller and a fuel pressure cut off switch.

If you pay attention to everything - and get it right - nitrous is still the cheapest effective power adder you can buy.