Rip Off Britain - Alive & well.

Started by F Body, August 21, 2006, 04:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

I've just been reading PR Automotive Newsline which gives all the current car industry news.
Jaguar have just announced US prices for the new XKR coupe which is priced on the road at $86,500.
A quick look on the Jaguar UK website reveals our on the road price is £67,495.
Todays exchange rate is 1.88 dollars to the pound which means the Yanks are paying £46,010 , that's £21,485 less for a car that is made in Britain

FUBAR

Time to import one from the US of A methinks

thats a tiny price to pay for having to sit on the left!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Cunning Plan

crazy huh..  But its good to know all this extra tax we pay lets us have good roads, schools.... wait.. no it doesnt
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

Come on guys its not a jaguar anymore its a jaguford. The demographic for sales of jagufords in the usa is the over 60's. take a trip to baltimore or florida and every other car will be driven by a silver haired guy with leather driving gloves

FUBAR

Quoting: 55starchief
leather driving gloves

OMG my mum has a pair of those... and she's only just qualified for SAGA
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

ianjpage

Hmm wonderful rip off britain indeed..........

Roadkill

HardRockCamaro

Well, over here a Cadillac CTS-V is £45,000
In the USA it is $52,000 which menas they're paying only £27,000

That's a 67% price hike!

philoldsmobile

a friend of my dads is thinking of buying a new honduh... the forcourt rice in the UK was about £20k. while on holiday in the US, he looked at the exact same model, (sure enough the VIN stated made in swindon) for $20k

how come the car can be shipped 4000 miles, after being built at the same plant for just over 1/2 the price..

HardRockCamaro

I remember on Top Gear (or some such programme) they bought a brand new Rover 75 in Belgium for about 12K when it was over 17K over here...

I also remember a representative ot the assoc of UK car ripoff merchants saying that cars were cheaper in the USA because over here they tend to come with more gadgets and whatnot.  Erm, since when???  You have to try really hard to find a modern US car that doesn't have ac, cruise, leccy mirrors and windows, a good stereo and often even leccy seats.  And I can't remember the last time I saw a modern classy car (eg Lincoln or Caddy) riding on steelies (ala BMW/Merc).