Fin's Trans Am - Project Air - its a novel this one..lol

Started by Finlay, August 17, 2006, 05:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finlay

Hi All,
Best please to post this thread I think (keeps Mr P O D informed)
Well as ya know my TA is now running a 5.7.
Spec (SAE Rated 290bhp GM Goodwrench engine and heads)

*    With 27014 Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake
*    50,000 volt coil (Now on Blueprinted Billet HEI Dizzy)
*    3/8 total spacer (bowtie overdrives TV cable plate and gaskets)
*    Edelbrock 1405 600cfm Carb (Manual Choke removed)
*    Edelbrock Proflow 1002 1000cfm air cleaner (open) sits 3" above the carb
*    Hedman Long Tube Headers 1 5/8" Primarys (I think)
*    into short Side exit system 2 1/4" not much baffling
*    B&M 2400rpm Torque Converter (to 700r4 with shift kit & 2.73:1 rear gear and No Posi...lol)
*    Red line on the engine is 6000rpm and Should make peak power at 5250 to 5500 rpm
Since fitting the Block early in the year Ive had a running problem. One reason Ive not been to the strip Mr Pod!!!! Get up the rev range and  she would just start missing after about 15 seconds of full throttle. When on full throttle she also only pulls real strong upto 4700rpm then she seams to fade a but (dont get me wrong still pulling)

The Dizzy was the cheapest Jeggs own brand (was ACCEL) which on inspection recently was shagged after just 2 years. So out of me stock Ive knicked a billet Alloy blueprinted HEI Dizzy and Coil, the build quality if far better and all components are a lot more sturdy

But still a missfire and a drop off of power, Real bad in the heat wave we've just had

I checked and re check and rechecked the fuel pressure and float height All perfect by the book.
Still the problem

Ive checked the the electrics, - Coil power supply, Holley Blue line fuel pump. All Perfect

Ive checked the Holley Fuel regulator, Fine

Still the problem

It can only be Fuel or air or Electrical right (shes timed up fine and the VC Advance is working as it should)

On edelbrocks advice Ive fitted a edelbrock kit 1466 that will allow fuel to enter the float chamber faster at the same 5.5/6 psi. Didnt drive the car becuse of the weather

Today I fitted a Turbotecnicks Carb Hat which I had in stock, with the idea first to make a cold air pick up and long term possibaly to fit a turbo..... (for fun and business PR)

OMG.... from 2000rpm its been missing like a b#####

Went over to me old mans to retest everything & Electrics, then took the carb hat off. Took the car out with no filter.....WOW on the greesy damp road I just couldnt get traction even at 80mph

Anyway the problem............Its Air.... I cant get enough of it to the car.

On reverting to the 1000cfm filter , like these (no spam intended...lol)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220016935384&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220016935384&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

The whole of the top is stuck to the roof of the hood(mm of clearance). In the hot weather I just can not get oxygen in the engine to burn.

The engine is capable of making double the power of the original 5.0 so in my mind could use double the air supply (ish not exact science I know).

A drop base 14" Filter could be used but the top pan and the carb would only have 1/2" Clearance. so no better.

(Im not cutting a hole in the hood.......................just yet...lol

Anyway finaly the Plan..........

Im opening up the second hood skin behind the dummy ram air intakes. There is 15 to 20mm clearance from the Hood to the Radator top cover and steel bit

Then plan to mount a air duct on the under side of the hood to carry the cold dense air from the intakes to the carb. ie between the hood skin and an alloy plate mounted 2" off / below the hood skin.

This will go back and around the Carb air filter when the hood is down , ie hole in the plate for the air filter  to fit in.

im hoping this will get enough cold air to the carb to make her run right in the hotest weather and also give a few more bhp at the same time.
Also My hood...... On the back edge is a runnber sealing strip..... I can see on purpose in this except to keep heat off the car wind screen? Well its being ripped off tomorrow to aid engine bay cooling. Currently the engine bay gets hot enough so you can not put your hand on the inner wings after a run!!!

I suppose all this is expected if you put more power in a car that was not designed for it

Lets see how I get on this weekend

End of Chepter one..lol

Finlay

Just to add,

Im also considering a 750cfm Carb as an upgrade..... but I dont know if this will help. The engine only needs 570 cfm as far as I know

Pod

So the short version is you've broken it (again).

Quoting: Finlay
with the idea .... to fit a turbo..... (for fun and business PR)

"You too can break your car in one easy step"

Finlay

Noo, just never fixed it..lol

But yes i fancy playing with a turdbo soon....

Question...... Pod are you doing the Mustang ting and using

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ad.php?t=303962\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ad.php?t=303962 ..lol

Pod

The Sunpat?
If it works as well as the pictures, I'm definitely going to try it.

Jamieg285

I would definitely advise a increase on the carb size.  Although what you have is within the range, it could be reaching the top limit.
Not sure that 750 might be too much though - I'd look around some of the US forums and see what other people are running.

Roadkill

Hmm I reckon it's not enough space in the engine bay.

My little 305ci is getting replaced with a 350ci (next year ?) and it'll have plenty of room to breathe.

Try ripping out some of that useless stuff, make some room and get the air circulating under the hood.

Finlay

I think your right Mr Kill, There just isnt enough room above the Carb when any filter is fitted.  

Im taking that rubber sealing strip out today than runs all along the back of the hood. that shoud gave at least 1/2" gap all the way along.

At the moment it just has the two little hood vents each side at the back

Anyway off to make something today

With the Carb. As mine is de-choked thats ment to give me around 50cfm more... But if all else fails I recon that wil be the final resort.

Anyway..Ooooorrfff to play with some steel

Roadkill

As mine is de-choked thats ment to give me around 50cfm more...

I can't recall having a 4 BBL carb WITH a choke on it.

When I get my 350ci (or 383ci) I'm not gonna mess about.

I'll pick up another hood (my current one's a rare stock 'glass one) and cut a hole for that bad boy to breathe through !!!

A supercharger is on the cards, too and there's no way that's fitting under the hood !!!

Roadkill

Another factor may be the temperature of the air getting to the carb.

If you're running a stock fan that can cool your rad down O.K, but an over-kill leccy fan will woft cool air all round the engine bay.

I've got quite a hefty fan on the 'Maro which, when sitting still, you can feel it blowing hot air under the car !

Keep it cool.

Finlay

Yep the heat is defently effecting it..

I'll pop some pictures up of the cold air ducting Im making late (if it dont rain)

Cheers
Fin

Roadkill

I'll pop some pictures up of the cold air ducting Im making

CJ-IROCZ

maybe theres a point to these ram air hoods after all

Finlay

Ok 2 hole's Cut in the inner skin on the hood, 2 ft wide by 2" deep ducting 27" long made out of a gardening seed planter tray. with holes cut out for the Carb area and alsy a small hole for the top of the altenator bracket.

Off out to fit it to the hood and then I need to portect it from the engine heat. Thanks to a certain TTA owner Ive got a nice nearly new hood lagging thing to fit

have a good weekend if your going

Roadkill

have a good weekend if your going

TOGA, TOGA, TOGA !!!

Finlay

Finlay

Ok project cold air

Sorted, done, finished - No build pictures..lol I always forget stuff like that

But here ay go. Cost..... Nothing and I had the bits in the shed. but I recon the Planter tray was about £8

Sorted

55starchief

If your gonna go for a bigger carb ditch the edelbrock and get a mighty demon 650 it makes more torque and power and is worth every bit

Finlay

Ok the above project has now been scrapped.... for the better as at the red line it was still doing the same thing.

Ive changed the air filter to  An Edelbrock 1222 Triangle with K&N chrome jobbie this isnt a drop base filter (well only 1/2")

Does it fit under the hood.... errr not quite but after a bit of re shaping it does now....... (me jumping on the front of the Triangle in the engine bay)

The Lagging and duct have been removed.

But I wanted more air to be able to get in there..... Well Ive raised the back of the hood by about 1/2" by spacing out the brackets and winding out the hood stops a bit. The total gap for the back is between 1 and 2" all the way along

Took it for a blast down the road and  all seams good. After 5 miles of spirited driving I opened the hood and it was cold inside

So I recon Im ready now for the 1/4 mile.... so Pod its time

Is anything (rwyb) on this weekend?

F Body

Im taking that rubber sealing strip out today than runs all along the back of the hood. that shoud gave at least 1/2" gap all the way along.

I thought that was there to stop rain water running into the electrics ?
Fuse box and/or heater motor ??

Pod

Is anything (rwyb) on this weekend?

September 2nd/3rd is an option.
The Saturday is Peak Performance (limited numbers, sign on £50 bought in advance, fully prepped track), while the Sunday is normal RWYB.

Both days count towards SRS, but I'm not sure which I'm doing yet. Depends on the cash situation.

Finlay

Quoting: F Body
I thought that was there to stop rain water running into the electrics ?
Fuse box and/or heater motor ??

Dont worry about little things like that Mr F I havent got much electrics left to worry about

Pod...Im skint mate but I'll see what I can do. I have been asked to go to Trax Modded Show to run in the 0-60 trial and 20mins on the GP track,

Let me play it by ear but I'll be at the Pod or York very soon