Camaro V8 Turbo engine

Started by Shifty, October 04, 2006, 05:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shifty

This is how it's done, i told you all it was possible to fit one in.

This Engine uses a T04 turbo which should easly see a road usable 500BHP at fairly low boost pressures (meaning even more potential). I would ask who wants one but im guessing most people on here would rather opt to transplant in another equily under tuned 17LTR V8.

Also as a side line, here is that link i was telling someone (maybe FUBAR) about the other day.
Greame sent me this one maybe a year or so ago.
http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0410pon_most_powerful_pontiac_v8\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0410pon_most_powerful_pontiac_v8
Well worth reading.

55starchief

Read the Andy Mitchell thread mate 1400hp with no power adders

F Body

Way hey hair dryers for the win, as a rule large displacement doesn't need turbo's , 16 valves or variable valve timing
All you need is a great big bang , even the my humble 5.7 Camaro is putting out 409bhp
I'd really like to own  big block engined vehicle with something like a Chevy 572 ( 9.1 litre ) crate engine, puts out a quite reasonable 620bhp and 560lb of torque

Shifty

Quoting: 55starchief
Read the Andy Mitchell thread mate 1400hp with no power adders

You said yourself the other day even he is now looking into forced induction, as he is starting to reach the limitations of drivability on the road with N/A engines.

F Body

Quoting: Shifty
he is starting to reach the limitations of drivability on the road

Bullocks to that

I want a car I'm scared to drive

55starchief

You said yourself the other day even he is now looking into forced induction, as he is starting to reach the limitations of drivability on the road with N/A engines.

Nah mate he was on about a blown alchol lump, hes got plenty of power left for road going cars but race cars hes alwyas looking for something a little different. But seeing the 6's in the toy factory car im not sure what he has planned next

Shifty

Quoting: F Body
I want a car I'm scared to drive

Couldnt agree more, it's all about the power baby .

Unfortunatly there will be a limit to what you can do on road legal tyres. Still getting there will be fun.

EDGE

having worked on a 3rd gen, that looks an utterarsehole to fit

EDGE

FUBAR

Quoting: EDGE
having worked on a 3rd gen, that looks an utterarsehole to fit

I dunno the intake seems like it goes through the Charcoal Canister hole in the D/S Tray and the turbo looks like its on the other side battery tray with the cooler infront of the rad (nosecone off).

it wouldn't be an easy job by any means but it wouldn't be a nightmare
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Titsy

This is how it's done, i told you all it was possible to fit one in

A 3rd gen is one thing, what about a 4th gen.....

55starchief

Quoting: Titsy
A 3rd gen is one thing, what about a 4th gen.....

you could change the size of the intercooler

Titsy

I mean't more how you'd fit any of it, not just the intercooler....

Roadkill

I would ask who wants one

Yeah.

Go on, then.

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill
Yeah.

Go on, then.

you havnt got injection mate which makes it a bitch to seal the carb

EDGE

not if you build a box around it, so the pressure inside and outside the carb is the same stops these forced induction fuel seal carbs dead in their tracks

EDGE

55starchief

Quoting: EDGE
not if you build a box around it, so the pressure inside and outside the carb is the same

i know but its a PITA, injection is much easier

HardRockCamaro

It's plenty possible to fit a twin turbo setup into a 3rd gen engine bay.
It's tight, but has been done many times.

Gale Banks offered (and now have started offering again so Im told) a twin turbo kit for a 3rd gen.  Comes to about 6 grand and that excludes the ecu and mapping you'll need to do.  In fact I think it might not even include the actual turbos...

Personally I don't like turbos.
Yes they make gobs of power, but you can get 500BHP out of a massaged 350 or 383 and no lag at all.

Also, no heat issues.

500 is more than enough for the street really, especially when it's backed by gobfulls of torque.  If I wanted more I'd put a Procharger on it which is good for almost 1,000BHP if you can get the bottom end to hold together. Of course, you would die as 3rd gens seme to have an evil streak in them at the best of times, and with just 200BHP...

FUBAR

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
and with just 200BHP...

Ahem...

HardRockCamaro

Hehe, oh sure.
But even a 5.0 will happily try and kill you.

I've had mine fishtail out of control twice so far...

FUBAR

I can totally agree with that, and mine was the 160bhp carb'd version!

Roadkill

Mine's done nothing I haven't managed to recover . . . been close once or twice, though.

Yes they make gobs of power, but you can get 500BHP out of a massaged 350 or 383 and no lag at all.

What about a Twin Turbo 383ci, then ?

Quoting: 55starchief
you havnt got injection mate which makes it a bitch to seal the carb

I know that, hence I've always been looking to supercharge . . . . would be nice, though.