EBay Rant!!!

Started by ianjpage, October 19, 2006, 03:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunning Plan

Quoting: 55starchief
Gonna say this one last time you have a choice where to buy and if buying froma a private add or from a auction website you take the risk

im going to say this one last time.  im not blaming ebay for getting the computer spec wrong, that was between me and the twat.  he was wrong courts agreed done.  i was blaming ebay for supporting him and not doing enough to listing to innocent users becuase they dont spend as much money with ebay.  I COULD of bought it somewhere else but i chose to buy from the twat becuase OF EBAY - THEIR FEEDBACK SYSTEM - his was all good - but its just not true!!  

ebay is nothing like another private add - what other private ads can you leave feedback and supposedly be covered in all directions like ebay??  ITS NOT JUST AN AUCTION SITE- it started as that but has evolved into many different thing - ebay stores/shops???? < buy it now??? they arent auctions, best offer??? and now the private ads????  If i bought from the mkcitizen i would not be angary at mkcitzen and i would totally agree with you but you arent getting the fact that ebay is unique and like nothing else out there and many people shop on there becuase ebay is marketed as the safe site for the consumer becuase of all the safty systems they have inplace.

You are basically supporting ebay for supporting someone commiting fraud
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

Trading standards says this

If the seller is a trader the sale of Goods Act applies just as if you were buying from a shop. If you are buying from a private seller you have far fewer rights

So plain and simple it has nothing to do with ebay, genuine ebay stores will cover any discrepancies but private individuals selling in the auction fromat dont seem to be covered. Even if a guy lists 5 items a week if he is not a store you have very few rights

FUBAR

You still have the right to recieve what you've paid for.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Cunning Plan

So plain and simple it has nothing to do with ebay, genuine ebay stores will cover any discrepancies but private individuals selling in the auction fromat dont seem to be covered. Even if a guy lists 5 items a week if he is not a store you have very few rights

OMG you are making an ass out of yourself now.. THE GUY WAS A BUSINESS USING EBAY AS A PLATFORM TO SELL HIS GOODS AS WELL AS HIS SHOP

55starchief

Quoting: FUBAR

At which point that is between you and the seller not ebay

Cunning Plan

he had a website, VAT registered, non-geo number, and a shop in liverpool

FUBAR

Quoting: FUBAR

At which point that is between you and the seller not ebay

No because eBay are providing the service and say that they protect all their customers, as CP says there's processed ebay have put in place and they don't seem to work.  Through eBay is how you get to the seller so of course its to do with them!

Shifty

Just out of interest would it be Ebays fault if you brought something of someone that was stolen. Technically ebay are aiding in the selling on of the stolen property which is obviously illegal.

FUBAR

I would say yes it would be because of the reason you stated.
although i'm sure there are hundreds of auctions for moody goods every day that finish unnoticed.  it would be impossible with only whats avaliable via ebay to prove any goods were stolen.

ianjpage

ARGHHHHHHHHH I FRICKING HATE EBAY!!

Another twat just fecked me off

Sold a UK 40 Channel CB Radio on ebay.....

Guy emaiols me couple of days ago (after winning the auction) saying "is ti 80 channel, CEPT frequency?", I replied to him "Erm, read the auction mate - its says 40 Channel UK CB Radio"......

Get nice email this morning "sorry dont want the item anymore"

W***ER

Another one reported to ebay!

Cunning Plan

Quoting: ianjpage

Why bother? like starcheif said its not ebay's responsibility to do such a silly thing as monitor sales - whats wrong with you man.  Its your fault for having such a good description, you should of just lied to him, got the money and sent it anyway.. everyone else is doing it.. and when they complain to ebay and give you bad feedback dont worry about it just phone ebay and get it taken off.  Nothing wrong with that huh starcheif?

55starchief

Quoting: Cunning Plan

Why bother? like starcheif said its not ebay's responsibility to do such a silly thing as monitor sales - whats wrong with you man. Its your fault for having such a good description, you should of just lied to him, got the money and sent it anyway.. everyone else is doing it.. and when they complain to ebay and give you bad feedback dont worry about it just phone ebay and get it taken off. Nothing wrong with that huh starcheif?

Whatever man

ianjpage

Quoting: Cunning Plan

Why bother? like starcheif said its not ebay's responsibility to do such a silly thing as monitor sales - whats wrong with you man. Its your fault for having such a good description, you should of just lied to him, got the money and sent it anyway.. everyone else is doing it.. and when they complain to ebay and give you bad feedback dont worry about it just phone ebay and get it taken off. Nothing wrong with that huh starcheif?

hehe

F Body

ARGHHHHHHHHH I FRICKING HATE EBAY!!

Reason 357 for not being an E-Bayer !

I'm sure that my life is just so much simpler and hardly anything seems to be that cheap nowadays anyway

Giblets

Cripes!

You fellas have had some larks on ebay then.

I guess I've been lucky so far as I've only negged one person for not buying and that was a £4 DVD and they had zero feedback anyway.

I've bought 2 cars and sold one on ebay, and sold a PC and bought a Video I-Pod (paid up front), not to mention loads of clothes for the tall and freakish.

I do research the buyer or seller throughly if it's an item worth more than £30 just to be safe, and I don't deal with anyone outside the UK anymore.

I do agree that it's ebay's responsibility to protect their honest customers though and am appalled that they deleted the neg feedback for the twat mentioned earlier. Thats plain scary.

Roadkill

I've been quite lucky so far . . . . bar the idiot in the US who couldn't tell the difference between £25.00 and $25.00.

Giblets

Quoting: Roadkill
I've been quite lucky so far . . . . bar the idiot in the US who couldn't tell the difference between £25.00 and $25.00.

Probably never left his country then. And probably obese.

Roadkill

Quoting: Giblets
Probably never left his country then

"Her", actually.

And it was : "Oh, I brought these as a surprise for my Boyfriend but didn't realise it was £25 . . . there's no way I'm paying that !"

Muppet.

ianjpage

to be fair ive done alot of other buying and selling on there, its just when i have problems it realllly annoys me!!

HardRockCamaro

I can see where you're both coming from but the simple fact is that EBay is not responsible for the goods you receive.
EBay is in concept similar to the noticeboard in your newsagents shop window or the Loot type newspaper.
If you see an add for something in the shop window and decided to buy it, you would normally go and see it first.  Due to the global reach of EBay this is of course not always practical.  If it's a high value item and local to you, you might do, if not you might decide against buying it, or you might take a gamble and trust the seller.  But that's the thing, you're buying an item from someone by sending them the money and then waiting for your item.  If the item you get isn't the item you thought you were gonna get (or you never get anything) you can't blame the newsagents because they had an ad in the window, just like you can't blame Ebay.
Unfortunately scammers who use Ebay know full well that when presented with a bargain a lot of people will bite.  I had to talk someone out of buying an Apple Mac on there a couple of months ago.  It was brand new, unopened from a "proper" company on there but was hundreds of pounds below high street price.  I know the Apple discount rates to stores so there was no way it was legit.  It took a *lot* of effort on my part to persude the person it really as too good to be true as it just wasn't economically possible to sell the product at that price when it costs a lot more than that to make it.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying you deserved to be ripped off or whatever, but I think your pointing the finger at Ebay (either as blame or for not doing enough post scam) is innacurate.  I see loads of people rant about EBay becuase they got ripped off.  They can't seem to grasp they didn't buy the item from EBay, EBay has nothing to do with it.  They should be ranting about the seller, not EBay.

You bought a high value item unseen from someone you don't know based on a noticeboard ad.  That's tbe reality of EBay and the reason I only use it to sell, or buy low value items.  A lot of people I kniow do laods of shopping via EBay, even for new items that are only a couple of quid cheaper.  I simply can't understand it.
The one exception is the Cadillac I bought which was very high value but their ad was worded in such a way that when I went to the other side of the country to collect it, if it wasn't what they said it was, I wouldn't have handed over the cash.  Even though I wasn't handing over nay money until I went to collect it, I still felt I was taking a big gamble buying such an expensive item on EBay.