Light regulations... legal ?

Started by EDGE, December 12, 2006, 07:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55starchief

The school politly asked me to leave

Roadkill

They treatened me plenty of times . . . . Seems the Sixth form head must've seen something in me 'cos she just wouldn't kick me out . . . .

philoldsmobile

watch this space.....

mechanic spotted this loophole, and is currently seeking clarification, but it does appear that all US market cars regardless of year can legaly have red indicators if that is how the factory supplied them....

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile

mechanic spotted this loophole, and is currently seeking clarification, but it does appear that all US market cars regardless of year can legaly have red indicators if that is how the factory supplied them....

indeed but edge called up VOSA and they say no and as they set the rules they have the final say mate

philoldsmobile

not nesicarily.......EU law has the ultimate final say for road legality...

VOSA only have authority over the MOT test..... if EU says its ok for road use, they are the big power...

this is exactly what mechanic is seeking to clarify..

there are cirtain things on bikes that are an MOT fail, but are legal on the road, such as a lack of chain guard... if you dont have one, you will fail MOT, but there is no law preventing you from riding a bike without one, as long as its present for the MOT then you are fine, at no other time is it nesicary... hopefuly it will be the same for red indicators

55starchief

this is exactly what mechanic is seeking to clarify..

good luck on that one, it took me a week to find out how to get a unregistered vehicle acepted on the new MOT stations. Anything in writing is gonna be imposible. Not that it bothers me as i am exempt anyways

ianjpage

Well iv'e cheated  abit on the indicators for the cobra!!

http://www.yanksrule.co.uk/cars/svt/newrearlights/New%20Cobra%20Rear%20Lights%20Pic%20008.JPG\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">

Pod

Personally I wouldn't want to try to explain that the "EU says it's fine" to the copper that's just pulled me over.

55starchief

Quoting: Pod

Personally I wouldn't want to try to explain that the "EU says it's fine" to the copper that's just pulled me over.

Yup just gonna increase the chance the police will crawl over the vehicle looking for other things

EDGE

yeah, the EU law governs rod "legality" but you cant pass an MOT with red blinkers... so therefor its illegal to drive, unless i guess you fit ambers for the mot then take them off...

either way..... FACISTS

EDGE

Pod

Quoting: EDGE
governs rod "legality"

HEhehehehe, he said 'rod', ehehehehehe

55starchief

ianjpage

Jamieg285

there are cirtain things on bikes that are an MOT fail, but are legal on the road, such as a lack of chain guard... if you dont have one, you will fail MOT, but there is no law preventing you from riding a bike without one, as long as its present for the MOT then you are fine, at no other time is it nesicary... hopefuly it will be the same for red indicators

I was always under the impression that even if a car had passed it's MOT, if would be illegal if it would fail a test if it had to be taken, i.e. if in your example you did remove the chain guard, although legal on the road it would be illegal because it would fail the MOT.

Don't know if that's right or not.

Jamieg285

Quoting: EDGE
European law for motor vehicles, section 65 lighting allows red rear indicators as long as the vehicle is not manufactured in Europe, and europen law overides any UK law, so if you want to keep these indicators the way they are you must point this out to your MOT station, I use Kwik fit, they know all about this and never fail them)

does that hold any water ????

My rear lights hold water, but I think that's because the gasket has gone

55starchief

Quoting: Jamieg285

Roadkill

Quoting: Jamieg285

DanC

My 03 Ram has red rear indicator lights, and has a mot. Tried to enquire about getting amber indicator lights on my ram, but just not possible!