Most exspensive classic of 2006 ?

Started by F Body, December 23, 2006, 02:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

It's another GM !

Sold at $4,320,000

Auction Co: Barrett-Jackson
Date: January 14

Lot # 1307. S/N 011. Red & stainless steel/blue & white vinyl. Odo: 9,549 miles. Built by GM's Yellow Coach Divsion. Beautifully restored to its 1953-56 configuration from a pile of scrap in the late 1990s and used as promo for Canadian cellphone company. Good paint and stainless, with some cracking to right side paint. Saftey cameras fore and aft. Remote control lights and modern generator for the display compartment. Light wear to the stage. Video monitor, ps, a/c, and air-ride seat added to the cockpit. Powertrain updated to a 401-ci GMC gas V6, in lieu of the original 302-ci I6, and a 4-sp. manual in lieu of the original 4-sp. military-spec HydraMatic with 2-sp. transfer case. Includes two sets of hubcaps / wheel covers for the different eras of shows in which it was used. Cond: 2+.

Imagine that as the MKB tour bus

55starchief

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

It's called a Futureliner !

One of 12 built by GM, a self-contained display and transport vehicle created by the GM design staff under Harley Earl's direction. Opening side, lighting, retractable stage, distinctive center "cupola" cockpit driving position and dual wheel front axle.

F Body

This is how it was before it was restored :

Just imagine being a young boy in 50's America and see these rolling into town

F Body

ianjpage

thats is kewl in a kinda wierd way!!!!

Incursus

Quoting: ianjpage
thats is kewl in a kinda wierd way!!!!

Agreed, I kinda like it

Jamieg285

ianjpage

Quoting: Jamieg285

From me.

jamie aka postwhore

Jamieg285

Just making up for lost time over the break  

ianjpage

Quoting: Jamieg285

Just making up for lost time over the break

So I see LOL!

oh and

Jamieg285

So I see LOL!

oh and :ot:

OK

ianjpage

Jamieg285

lol good - anyhow - nice truck

That's all I said, and I got a virtual

ianjpage

Pod

Quoting: F Body
Just imagine being a young boy in 50's America and see these rolling into town

Yeah, they'd all be standing there saying "WTF are they?".
Truely bizarre. Although the arrows on the rear indicators are cool.

Fieldy

thats is odd, cool, ugly and daring all in one......wonder why they never made more?!

F Body

Quoting: Fieldy
thats is odd, cool, ugly and daring all in one......wonder why they never made more?!  

There were two series of publicity buses with this one being part of the second series

F Body

Here's one from the first series in 1936 :

F Body

GM were really sort of " Buck Rogers " in style during the 50's &  60's how could it all go so wrong

They had the Aer-0-Dome display tents :

F Body

They also gave informative demonstrations :

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
An animated display provided the "inside story" of these relatively new devices.

THEME CENTER
   This was a modernistic looking structure with a 46-foot tower and served as an information center with exhibits.

EDUCATIONAL EXHIBIT
   Information was provided via "request cards" which could be mailed to GM requesting the educational booklets on display.

MIRACLES OF HEAT AND COLD
   This was a two-part lecture demonstrating how heat and cold serve us in our homes and daily lives.

OUR AMERICAN CROSSROADS
   This animated display changed every 10 minutes to show how communities would change in the future as a result of the automobile.

WORLD OF SCIENCE
   The lecturer explains friction in the atmospheric ocean that we live in.

ENERGY AND MAN
   A lecturer shows how man may harness energy from the sun in the future.

HIGH COMPRESSION
   This hands on display allow the visitor to push the buttons and learn how high compression engines and better fuels boost car efficiency.

OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUTH
   This exhibited provided an opportunity to win model cars from the Fisher Body Craftsman's Guild.

VERSATILE METAL POWDER
   The lecturer explains how parts are made from this materials and how it helps speed production.

All this in 1953