RIP Aston Martin.

Started by F Body, July 19, 2007, 12:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Later today, Aston Martin will be closing its historic Newport Pagnell factory, The plant produces the V12 Vanquish, and after its shuttering, the center will be leveled in order to erect a series of office parks and residential housing.

Although the plant has been in operation for close to 50 years and Prodrive had originally said that it was safe, skepticism seems to have surrounded the future of the facility.

The town itself has undergone a mass exodus of manufacturing jobs over the years, essentially turning the hamlet into a bedroom community.
More to point it now closes production of the last real Aston Martin
Ford knew well what they were doing when they sold AM, because they are now a four trick pony with one last car left to be revealed.
Once you have outsold exclusive where do you go on from there

Roadkill

End of an Era . . . and yeah, Ford knew that it was the end of the line anyway . . . they got their $$$$$$$$ out of it during their ownership I dare say . . .

sixpack2639

Quoting: Roadkill
they got their $$$$$$$$ out of it during their ownership I dare say . . .

Guarenteed!!

HardRockCamaro

That is very sad.  Look at the royal crest on the front, and somehow you can tell that imnside that building you have actual real craftsmen.

Aston Martin needed Ford or some other large manufacurer to keep them going with technological advancements and large cash injections.  Developing new cars and engines is just too expensive these days.

Prodrive judt don't have the clout and Aston Martin will eventually go the way of TVR, rescued from collapse by a succession of rich car enthusiasts but eventually it will die unless a big manufacturer takes them over.

An Aston Martin is what I would buy if I became a millionaire.

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Fieldy

Incursus

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
An Aston Martin is what I would buy if I became a millionaire.

Hell yeah!!

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Roadkill
End of an Era . . . and yeah, Ford knew that it was the end of the line anyway . . . they got their $$$$$$$$ out of it during their ownership I dare say . . .

i actualy doubt it...

untill very recently at least, proper newport pagnel astons lost money on every car built..

dont know if thats still true, but the labour and materials cost was astronomical on the old hand built astons..