dagnammit......

Started by philoldsmobile, July 22, 2007, 02:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

got to WR&C on friday, all fine, sat morning i felt a bit cold, so got in the car to warm up a bit.. after running for about 10 mins, the heater suddenly went cold.

knowing that aint right, i stopped the engine, and had a look. The coolant was yellow, and right to the top of the bottle.

I summoned dave, who concluded it had gained an air lock somewhere. upon further investigation, the air lock kept returning, so we took the rad cap off, and looked into the radiator with the engine running.

as we lookd in, you could see bubbles coming up through the water, so we went round the back for a sniff, sure enough, coolant in the exhaust..

bugger.. that'll be a head gasket then!

VIPER

Doing one at the moment on a club members car.....
Alnong with a few other bits..

EDGE

tis a bummer dude... gonna fix it yourself ? need a hand ?

Fieldy

That sucks mate......I can't believe it considering the mileage....

I would offer A hand, I have no idea what to do, but I can supply fizzy pop!

If you need anything, let me know...

F Body

Quoting: philoldsmobile
bugger.. that'll be a head gasket then!

Bugger indeed

and not a Ford joke mentioned

NB : I thought your model was the one with the modified headgasket design and therefore should have been OK

Allanv

Should have got a BMW nanannna i am bored - is it safe to come back to awindon yet

gimme a beer

philoldsmobile

Quoting: F Body
I thought your model was the one with the modified headgasket design and therefore should have been OK

yup... that was the theory...

thanks for the offers of help, but its stashed over at ashley swifts place, awating surgery this week...

Motorama

Is that on your Mustang?

Is it a common problem on them, i only ask asa friend of mine has a V6 Mussie and doing his head gasket at the moment too

F Body

Quoting: Motorama
Is it a common problem on them,

Yes up to 1995 model year change when they changed the head design, however PhilO's is the newer "improved" design

art b

Quoting: F Body
PhilO's is the newer "improved" design

or maybe its not....!

should have stuck with that old third gen..............

"ford gives you more"
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

EDGE

you can never tell with the imports exactly when it was made vs the year on the number plate... sometiimes there would appear to be "admin issues"

ianjpage

F Body

Quoting: EDGE
you can never tell with the imports exactly when it was made vs the year on the number plate..

Well if you look at PhilO's car and Chris's sister car ( both silver 1995 ) the engines look totally different around the cylinder head with all different pipes and plumbing, may be PhilO got the models the wrong way around

philoldsmobile

ahh, mine is a 96 model. possible they could have used stocks of the old gasket design, as it was RIGHT on the changover....

safest bet is mid 96 onwards it seems...

Cunning Plan

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

philoldsmobile

Quoting: EDGE
you can never tell with the imports exactly when it was made vs the year on the number plate

no prob on the mustangs, as the plate in the door jamb is unchanged, thus the build date is easy to find