Two Bikes and a Kettle.

Started by F Body, October 20, 2007, 01:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

nah, before making any changed i'd investigate further.. that bike should never overheat, dispatch riders use them hard in London in the middle of summer, and swear by them, that boiled WAY too readily on a cool day, i'm gonna guess the thermostat (if it has one) is not opening properly, or the water pump is knackerd either way, i reckon the coolant isn't circulating properly, even with the fans on it was still getting progressively hotter

either way, summats wrong..

art b

remove the stat, and improve the coolant flow, ya not gonna use it in winter so the stat should go....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

F Body

Quoting: philoldsmobile
either way, summats wrong..

Been reading the work shop manual :

The Kettle has a temp sender in the radiator ( left side ) which operates the fans. This can be simply shorted out to create a manual over ride switch

It also has a temp gauge sensor screwed into the thermostat housing.

The manual makes no reference what so ever to air blocks or bleeding the system, simple saying run the engine and add coolant to the reservoir tank as required.

So the fact that the gauge generally reads very low, should have no relation to the fans cutting in at the right temp or not, i.e they are two seperate systems.

The water pump has a pressed metal impeller and a tell tale drip hole if the gland has gone.

I'm tempted to do three things :

1 / Leave it the fook alone, it was probally the only time in 19 years that it's ever got hot enough to trip the fans

2 / Change the temp guage sender to see if that corrects the temp guage readings ?

3 / Wire a small illuminate fan over ride switch in just in case i have a problem again.

F Body

Quoting: F Body
3 / Wire a small illuminate fan over ride switch in just in case i have a problem again.

Maplins - £2.29p

A toggle switch with a red led in the end of the toggle, which is illuminated when the switch is in the on position. the switch is rated 20a ,12vdc.

art b

no 3 sounds the best......

or no1.............
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

philoldsmobile

the fact that with the fans on it still got progressively hotter would worry me, somethings not right for it to do that, as soon as the fan cuts in the temp should drop......