Main Menu

Want power ?

Started by Roadkill, February 01, 2006, 05:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Incursus

Roadkill

Quoting: incursus
Shiny

That's got nothing to do with it !!! . . . .

O.K . . . . . Maybe a little.

Jamieg285

Quoting: Roadkill
Quoting: incursus
Shiny

That's got nothing to do with it !!! . . . .

O.K . . . . . Maybe a little.

Shiney doesn't make it any quicker or more powerful. I'm a firm believer that you can have to much chrome/polish.

Roadkill

Pfft.

Shiney means it's got less wind resistance hence reducing the power needed to move it !!!

Roadkill

Quoting: Jamieg285
Shiney doesn't make it any quicker or more powerful.

You're telling a man with a Blue and black engine in a black engine bay.

Zero chrome there . . . . for now.

55starchief

Hmm im noticing somethong with all the items you want mate, and that is wont fit with HEI dizzy

Jamieg285

Quoting: 55starchief
Hmm im noticing somethong with all the items you want mate, and that is wont fit with HEI dizzy

It'sOK, it'll be so shiney, it won't need one

Roadkill

Admiitedly the HEI is bloody huge . . . . An MSD set may be the way to go.

The question leads back to

"What do you put the Supercharger on ?"

383ci . . . 400ci . . . 454ci . . ?

philoldsmobile

none, for BHP per £, its terrible value for money, turbocharging is cheaper, more reliable and far more eficcient. (plus it doesn't look silly hanging through the bonnet)

superchargers like that are fitted for nostalgic reasons..

55starchief

im sorry phil but your wrong on this one. Its all about the aplication. A supercharger will give a power increase across the whole rev range a turbo will only make boost at a pre determined point.

Turbos work well on modern cars with fuel injection but on a carb cause problems with overboost bleeding through the carb seals

philoldsmobile

nope, coz thats what the wastgate is for..

you can dial a turbo in to give a set boost from a set rpm, provided the wastegate is doing its job properly, any extra pressure is simply bled into the exhaust system.

-edit- renault 5 9 and 11 GT turbo's are carb, and no problems at all there, just lots of power from 3000 onwards..

55starchief

Im sorry phil but a turbo is forced induction, if you try to fit a turbo to a carb you need to seal everything other wise the charge leaks out. I know this as i turbod a fiat 126 engine but ended up with a cinqcento single point injection throttle body as the weber carb was un reliable.

Secondly turbos have lag something a supercharger does not. The bigger the turbo the greater the lag. If you want big power gains you need a big turbo as well as intercoolers.

Thirdly a turbo does not give a smooth power transition unlike a super charger. when a turbo comes on boost all the power is released at once which can make for a scary ride especially with big power and rear wheel drive. ( iknow this i have driven a Rs500 and that would churp the rears when boost came on)

If superchargers are nostalgic why does mercades  use them on there flagship model? why not a turbo?

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
lots of power from 3000 onwards..

Superchargers work from idle onwards !!!

Never, never, never will you see me with Turbo's . . . . . If 'Chargers work on top fuellers they'll work just fine for me.