Lots of Yanks going up for sale ?

Started by F Body, April 29, 2008, 01:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Not just here but everywhere
Is the rising fuel price really starting to bite

Last week they were saying that oil could top $130 a barrel this year, today they are saying $200+ a barrel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7370441.stm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7370441.stm

Is now the time to throw the towel in, cut your losses and say it was good whilst it lasted

Gator

nope never i might buy some cut price yanks and sit on them till richer times

Roadkill

Quoting: Gator
nope never

Adapt.  But don't give up.

Roadkill

Quoting: Fieldy
Revolting

Aww, come on.  Martyn ain't that bad.

FUBAR

Well i'm not selling the IROC no matter what.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

Seriously though, if the price of oil doubles within 1 year there will be serious problems.

HardRockCamaro

I'd still like to know why the oil price is so high nowadays.

When there was a war, and a risk of oil fields being targetted by terrorists and so on, I could understand it.  But as nothing has changed since then (as far as I am aware) what gives???

From what I can gather from that article, it's purely investors, buying it up and then selling it on at a huge profit.  Is it just me or should that sort of thing be illegal?  Fuel is an essential and that seems right out of order to me just as it would if they started buying up water...

Presumably if it goes towards $2 a barrel the US will invade someone and just take it, so now is the time to stay close to the US...

If prices were to get that bad the value of my STS would be nil so no point in selling it.  May as well just LPG it for say £2,500 instead of buying a car for £2,500 that does double the mpg.

Of course the problem is that what car you drive would be the least of your worries as the cost of *EVERYTHING* would go up, food and goods (and not just due to transportation costs, but the energy required to make them and in the case of plastics, the material itself).

Gator

mortgages are gonna make fuel look like chicken feed when the current finacial crisis starts to kick in imo i can imagine some panic selling soon

good new for you 1st time buyers, watch out for those bargains

HardRockCamaro

Problem is that some (and more will follow) are now starting to ask for a 25% deposit in order to cover themselves in case of a drop in house prices, which only works for existing owners who are moving, us first timers are not finding a 25% deposit, no chance.  I don't have £40,000 sitting around...

FUBAR

me neither, my chances of getting a mortgage now are pretty much Zero:

My savings don't ammount to anything close enough for a house, i'm only on a temporary contract and i'm a (potential) 1st time buyer.

Fieldy

I meant against the government..... lol

Damn tax on fuel....

F Body

Fuel experts are now predicting that petrol will hit £1.50 a litre by September, or £6.82 ( $13.50 )  a gallon

A dam self for filling prophecy

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=17981\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=17981

FUBAR

Quoting: F Body
A dam self for filling prophecy

Of course it is, and thats the biggest problem, so on top of all this the Oil companies are loving it!!

Its just profiteering!

55starchief

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO POINT THIS OUT

ITS TAX,its all tax and once mre its tax 70 fcuking %

Cunning Plan

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

The petrol companies might have made huge profits but its not from retail petrol sales and those profits are world wide, where petrol is not as high as here

Fieldy

Quoting: 55starchief
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO POINT THIS OUT

ITS TAX,its all tax and once mre its tax 70 fcuking %

Exactly, ******* GOVERNMENT!

REVOLT!!!! Everyone should just go in, fill up and drive off in the same day....

They can't prosecute everyone.....

Gator

Quoting: Fieldy

Exactly, ******* GOVERNMENT!

REVOLT!!!! Everyone should just go in, fill up and drive off in the same day....

They can't prosecute everyone.....

you 1st

Cunning Plan

Heres an idea for a protest...

I say we cause miles upon miles of gridlock bringing the uk to a stand still, then all the extra ware and tare will cause the road surface to become one of the worst in europe and THEN let 1000000000 of uninsured, unlicenced foreign drivers on our roads causing even more confusion.....

OH NO WAIT!!  

Roadkill

Quoting: Cunning Plan
OH NO WAIT!!

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Piston Heads

SECRET ROAD TAX HITS THOUSANDS

Older cars to be subject to higher road tax

Older cars now included
Older cars now included
Drivers are facing a surprise road tax hike after the Government announced that cars up to seven years old will be subject to new road duties, it has been reported.

Older vehicles were expected to be exempted from changes designed to penalise high emissions, but the Treasury has now apparently admitted that it failed to make clear that owners of larger cars bought since March 2001 will be hit.

This means that tens of thousands of families will have to pay up to £245 extra a year under the new rules because of the covert decision to include seven-year-old cars.

The Treasury hoped to quietly abolish the exemption for older cars.

It is understood the increases are being introduced in two stages, with many owners who are now paying £210 a year being charged £300 in 2009 and up to £455 in 2010.

The revelations come at a time when the cost of motoring continues to soar and drivers struggle to meet costs.

Critics have said that the Government failed to make clear that new changes to road tax would include older cars.

Paul Watters, head of roads policy at the AA, said: 'The Government presented the changes as means of influencing people's purchasing decisions, but it turns out that they are also penalising hard-pressed families who have been running the same car for many years.'

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=17987\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=17987