Cheap chinese fuel...

Started by HardRockCamaro, July 28, 2008, 06:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardRockCamaro

Roadkill

when a spark ignited the flames, causing the explosion

You think they meant "fumes" not flames ?

Making your own fuel is legal - the government allows people to produce 2,500 litres of biofuel a year, tax free.

Why arent we all doing this ?

HardRockCamaro

Because most of us drive cars that use proper petrol, not nasty diesel.

And due to worldwide demand for bio fuels the cost of vegetable oil (and so on) has climbed tremendously.  Last time me and Edge did the sums it didn't add up to be worth the effort, but that was a year ago...

EDGE

it wasnt really worth it no, taking in to account the cost of fuel filters and everything else it needs, it was like £20 a month and for that you had to be doing 12-15k per year, just not worth it

Cunning Plan

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Last time me and Edge did the sums it didn't add up to be worth the effort,

This is true, it takes alot of hassle to get it right.  Along with that you have the problems of a wax buildup in the pump so every now and then you would have to run a full tank of normal diesel anyway to flush the system.  Then its a little harder to start in cold weather compaired with diesel, normally taking 2 goes with glow plugs on full for 20 secs...

That said, my old van actually ran better and quicker with pure veg oil in it, I figure becuase of the lubricating properties veg oil has over corrosive diesel.  IF I bought an old diesel, i would perhaps look into doing it again but it would have to be and old diesel as the newer TDi TDCi etc engines have pumps that run at extreme tollances which inturn need the same chemical with the same viscious-ness and ignition characteristics put into it again and again to be happy and run right, where as old derv engines run on tar and poo..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

HardRockCamaro

There is no way I'd risk putting it through a TDCI engine.

The parts for those are well expensive i it goes wrong as I heard a lot of them have to be made in cleanroom conditions like computer chips...