Open Source Media Centre

Started by Cunning Plan, October 06, 2008, 05:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunning Plan

We are in the middle of building a Linux media centre and found this open source centre:

http://elisa.fluendo.com/home/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://elisa.fluendo.com/home/

It works well, as good or almost better than the ones you have to pay for such as the one on the Mac or Vista Ultimate..

We are going to rig up a remote and link it to the tv then into the router so we can send files to it from other rigs around the house..

Open Source
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Cunning Plan

Oh forgot to say it works on any operating system

HardRockCamaro

Looks good!

When it comes to Media Centres, imho, ease of use is the most important thing.  I watched a few on the gadget show (last series?) and some were a right nightmare to use.

I've got an AppleTV box that does all I need (I wish Apple would develop it further instead of referring to it as a hobby project) but if you've got an old PC box lying around then this is a free media centre basically.  If it works as well as it looks then it should be good.

The only problem I can see is playing DRM protected stuff (not just iTunes but also other download services) which would be a big problem for me as I have bought hundreds of pounds of music and stuff on iTunes.  I also like the movie rentals feature on iTunes I wonder if this one will link in to competing ones from say Netflix?

This one on the Mac looks very similar:
http://centerstageproject.com/the-future.php\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://centerstageproject.com/the-future.php

I had an earlier version of it before my AppleTV box.

Cunning Plan

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
DRM protected stuff

I hate DRM as I am sure you do. I was going to sign up with ITunes until I reaslied that they put the DRM crap all over it. If you have bought it, its your property to do whatever you want with it. Playing it over your home network on a media centre is a good example of that.

HardRockCamaro

Agreed.

I don't like DRM but of course, there are ways around it if you can be arsed.
I find the Apple Fairplay one to be just that, very fair.  I can listen to it on 5 computers (plenty for most ppl), an unlimited number of AppleTV media centres and iPods and iPhones.  I can also burn an album 7 times to CD or can use the tracks ads part of an unlimited number of compilation CD's.

The only problem is Apple not licencing the technology so you have to use Apple gear (or at least iTunes on a PC).  As I do it's not a problem for me, but it may well be for others.

Then again, the iTunes store makes no profit for apple at the current pricing.  so if they let you buy music through it that you used on other players they'd make no money.  So being selfish, I'd rather just pay the 79p per track than have them raise the price so other people (ie not me) could play it on other players.  But having said that, they do sell the stuff DRM free, it's called iTunes Plus.  you pay an extra few pence and get double the bitrate and no DRM.  but the selection is limited as the labels don't seem to want to really participate (and it was their insistence on DRM that caused Apple to use it in the first instance).

F Body

Quoting: Cunning Plan
We are in the middle of building a Linux media centre

Let's hope "Linux" likes it

Quoting: Cunning Plan
and found this open source centre:

The last bout of open source I had wasn't very pleasant

I did actually follow the link but as I've said before :

If computers were really clever they'd sort this sort of crap out for themselves

Pod

Quoting: F Body
If computers were really clever they'd sort this sort of crap out for themselves

If people were clever, they'd read the instructions!

HardRockCamaro

The instructions are merely the manufacturers opinion...

Fieldy

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
This one on the Mac looks very similar:

am i being dumb or is that not ready to download yet?

HardRockCamaro

You're correct.

It *was* available to download, I used to use it a couple of years ago.
But they seem to have pulled it offline for a major revamp.

Fieldy

damn.. i wanted to play on something new (can't get CP's one to work on my mac either)

HardRockCamaro

You've got Front Row though?