Main Menu

GMC Misfire

Started by Titsy, December 29, 2008, 04:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titsy

ianjpage

Welllll........

We started at around 9.30 and finished just before 4 (i think) so was a long - COLD day (ask dean about his feet lol) but was a semi-productive day...

Took us a couple of hours to get everything removed and unconnected and then finally remove the upper manifold and wot a sight - totally covered in black 'gunk'  (some of it lumpy and bitty)..... the 'spider' (or bug according to deano lol) was covered in the same crap.

Spent a good few mins cleaning the spider and it looked a lot better afterwards, cleaned the upper and lower bits of the manifold and they looked a hell of a lot better when we re-installed them (with new gaskets).

One other thing deano noticed is that the prongs on the rotor and dizzy cap are majorly fecked - to the enxtent we think its the original cap & rotor - so will be obtaining new ones very soon!

once we had it all back together - fired right up on the button and it is now noticably better to drive but does still have a slight misfire probably due to the cap/rotor.

So overall a good start, the van is working better now and i know what needs to be done next:
Replace Dizzy cap
Replace Rotor arm
Clean spark plugs (they were new 18 months ago)

Then hopefully it be perfect!!

THanks again to dean for his help yesterday

F Body

I had a miss fire on our GMC , the rotor and cap were burnt to hell !

Got a new cap, rotor & leads from USless Automotive, when I changed the plug leads I found that two of them were also burnt through from touching the hot manifolds
Some of the new leads were too long, so I made a couple of lead clips ( hangers ) from an old spring I had lying about. That way they couldn't flop down onto the manifolds

Roadkill

Quoting: ianjpage
One other thing deano noticed is that the prongs on the rotor and dizzy cap are majorly fecked - to the enxtent we think its the original cap & rotor

I'm possitive that you'll see an imrovement by replacing these.

I've changed many a dizzy cap and the one on the GMC was truly the worst I'd ever seen !

THanks again to dean for his help yesterday

No problems.

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
when I changed the plug leads I found that two of them were also burnt through from touching the hot manifolds

This definately wasn't the case on the GMC . . . they're new leads and the routing is good.

ianjpage

Quoting: Roadkill
I'm possitive that you'll see an imrovement by replacing these.

I've changed many a dizzy cap and the one on the GMC was truly the worst I'd ever seen !

Yeah it was a tad worn lol!

v8mad0

Those vans are well known for needing Dissy caps and rotors, Also the EGR valves need cleaning out now and again.

Well done chaps

Incursus

So overall a good start, the van is working better now and i know what needs to be done next:
Replace Dizzy cap
Replace Rotor arm
Clean spark plugs (they were new 18 months ago)

Then hopefully it be perfect!!

FUBAR

Good news Hopefully you'll see an improvement in the MPG figures now then
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

ianjpage

Quoting: v8mad0
Those vans are well known for needing Dissy caps and rotors, Also the EGR valves need cleaning out now and again.

yeah it had a new egr valve about 2 years ago - PITA of a job to do....

Quoting: FUBAR
Good news  Hopefully you'll see an improvement in the MPG figures now then

lets hope so!!