Laptop wanted

Started by Rocky, December 11, 2008, 03:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky

Yeah slightly higher spec on Dell website but more expensive and dont know if i really need all that as i will still have my mac desktop tried to look for the serial ports but cant find any

ianjpage

yeah not surprising the serial ports are really hard to find on any laptops now...if you need one then could be real fun trying to find a New one with it...

Although......will the software you use cope with using a USB -> Serial port convertor ??

Rocky

Quoting: ianjpage
Although......will the software you use cope with using a USB -> Serial port convertor ??

Cant see why not if it converts it to serial port

EDGE

i know my SCT pro racer package wont work though that serial adapter... all lot of things dont....

i know we had problems at work with some network stuff wouldn't work unless we bought a certain brand...

Fieldy

I don't know how much mine is worth Rocky, but i will find it hard to sell.

If you see anything on PCworld or Dixons tax free, i can get it for tax free price for you from Heathrow

Alternatively, We at Sony are selling a 4g Ram, 250gb memory Sony Vaio for £512.... Have a look on this site and type in VGNNS into the box in the top right hand corner...

https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonyStyle/b2c/start/(xcm=PCM_b2ccrmstandard)/.do\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonyStyle/b2c/start/(xcm=PCM_b2ccrmstandard)/.do

HardRockCamaro

The only brand of Serial -> USB  adapter that we found to work at all under OSX (also works om Windows) was the Keyspan brand one.

Rocky

got the dell today, seems ok, bit weird going from a mac to a pc but so far so good.

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: Rocky
were told to put on Norton

Friends don't let friends use Norton...

ianjpage

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Friends don't let friends use Norton...

quite - i REALLY don't like norton and they way it simply takes over the whole machine.... AVG, McAfee and ESET are all much much better products IMO!

Rocky

Damn I have uploaded Norton 360 and taken off Mcafee as it kept being a pain, What is the best one to use for internet, I have a bit of security with the BT stuff im using but the Norton said i wasnt protected