4 new tyres, didn't hurt too much

Started by HardRockCamaro, February 20, 2009, 11:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardRockCamaro

Needed 4 new tyres for the Caddy and they're expensive (size is shared with the S-Class Merc and bizarrely, the Toymota RAV4, go figure), Costco wanted £720 for 4 Michelins with a 20% discount on top of that as part of a promotion bringing them down to £576.  Still too much.

Did some searching around and found a place around the corner from me (via mytyres.co.uk) that had 4 Nankangs they could do me for £196 all-in (they could do the Michelins at a Costco beating £480, and the cheapest big name brand was a set of 4 Pirellis for £420).

I had Nankangs on my Focus and they weren't great but of course times move on and needs must.  I checked on MyTyres  and they got decent reviews with 4/5 for most things, only dropping a bit to 3.2/5 in the wet.

They only got an average noise rating but I find them super quiet, way quieter than the Pirellis and Good Years I had before so I do question the test results...

I've not had chance to try them in the rain yet but so far I'm very pleased!

The balance was off a few grams though so I had to get them to re-balance them today.  Now they seem A1.  

On a side note, they can get IROC size tyres (245/50R16) for £60 per corner, fitted.  That's a good price for a hard to find tyre size and the guy gets props for saying "They're for a Trans-Am or Camaro aren't they?" when I asked for a quote based on that size.

F Body

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Costco wanted £720 for 4 Michelins with a 20% discount

I had Nankangs

I've got Hancooks on the Panda and they are way better than the original Michelin's, loads more grip in the wet & dry ( although they 175 and the old ones were 155 ). They have done 20K now and seem to be wearing well

The Michelin's were £68 each plus valve, balance & fitting
The Hancooks were £18 each all in

On a side note, they can get IROC size tyres (245/50R16) for £60 per corner, fitted. That's a good price for a hard to find tyre size and the guy gets props for saying "They're for a Trans-Am or Camaro aren't they?" when I asked for a quote based on that size.

Not many places stock 16's, I've got Khumo's on the Z28, but last I looked they have jumped up in price

ianjpage

Quoting: F Body
I've got Khumo's

same here - kumho's on the truck and on the camaro - they work really well, last fairly long and good grip all round - and they cheap - what more could ya want

RE Price - i checked locally for hte tyres for teh truck and they were 100 a corner, found them online (and fitting was in bletchley) for 75 a corner

HardRockCamaro

I have Kumhos on the front of the IROC, they seem fine.

The AVONS on the back though are beyond cr**.  

Last time I checked Kumhos were about £75 or so, but the very last time I checked they were listed as not available in that size any more...

The Caddy was running on the original factory fit Good Year Tourings on the back so they have done 45,000 miles which is v good.

The fronts were Pirelli 6000's and they have only lasted 20,000 or so.  

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: F Body
The Hancooks were £18 each all in  

Bicycle tyres cost more than that!  

ianjpage

The fronts were Pirelli 6000's and they have only lasted 20,000 or so.

Yeah they are CRAP tyres - had a set of them on the cobra (and the GT i think) -they lasted sub 10k miles....and didn't feel as good as kumhos IMO!

F Body

Bicycle tyres cost more than that!

Free is best, but cheap will do

The place where I bought them said " We sell hundreds of them and everybody say's they are good, if your not happy we'll refund the amount on a different make of tyre "  

I do wonder if companies like Khumo, Nanking etc loss lead or use very tight profit margins until they get a name in the market place and then bump the price up

HardRockCamaro

While some are Korean, eg Nankang, some are actually made by one of the big name brands as a way of competing against the Far Eastern tyres without lowering the price, margin and image of their usual tyres.

For example I think "Stunner" is actually Dunlop.

Had to laugh though, MyTyres listes a brand called GoodRide...  

FUBAR

On a side note, they can get IROC size tyres (245/50R16) for £60 per corner, fitted. That's a good price for a hard to find tyre size and the guy gets props for saying "They're for a Trans-Am or Camaro aren't they?" when I asked for a quote based on that size.

My old camaro had 15" Nankangs on them & they were fine.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

GoodRide...

I hope she was a

Stunner

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Rocky

I have a set of virtually new tyres coming in Monday off an Iroc which i paid £100

philoldsmobile

Quoting: ianjpage
Yeah they are CRAP tyres - had a set of them on the cobra (and the GT i think) -they lasted sub 10k miles....and didn't feel as good as kumhos IMO!

i had them on the camaro, they were terrible, grip / lurch / grip / lurch et.. and lasted less than 10,000 miles..

Incursus

Hmm they do seem cheap...

Not sure whats best for the Mustang though needs 235-45-17 (fronts)

Got Michelin Pilot SPORT PS2 atm which were 2nd hand when I got them 2 years ago so lasted really well.

Any thoughts?  cos there was a lot of choice on that http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?suchen=Ordern&cart_id=7684205.110.26372&ranzahl=4&Breite=235&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=H&kategorie=6&Transport=P&F_F=1&dsco=110&sowigan=So&Achse=&LoadRange=&sort_by=brand&Ang_pro_Seite=50&weiter=50\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">mytyres site...