GM announce Chevy Volt will do 230mpg !

Started by F Body, August 11, 2009, 12:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

GM has announced that the "230" marketing campaign floating around for the past week is related to the 2011 Chevrolet Volt.
The EPA ( Environmental Protection Agency ) has released a new methodology for determining a draft fuel economy standard for extended-range EVs like the Volt, and under this new procedure, the Volt will have a composite urban fuel economy rating of 230 mpg
On the electric side, the Volt will consume 25 kW/hours per 100 miles. That makes the Volt the first car ever to get a triple digit fuel economy rating.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/08/chevyvolt230mpg_lede.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">

Now lets see if they can actually build it

F Body

Apparently, we're not the only ones trying to figure out the exact methodology that was used to determine the supposed 230 mile per gallon city rating claimed by General Motors for the upcoming Chevy Volt. In response to a query from the boys at Green Car Advisor, the EPA issued the following statement:

EPA has not tested a Chevy Volt and therefore cannot confirm the fuel economy values claimed by GM. EPA does applaud GM's commitment to designing and building the car of the future - an American-made car that will save families money, significantly reduce our dependence on foreign oil and create good-paying American jobs. We're proud to see American companies and American workers leading the world in the clean energy innovations that will shape the 21st century economy.

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
an American-made car that will save families money, significantly reduce our dependence on foreign oil and create good-paying American jobs. We're proud to see American companies and American workers leading the world in the clean energy innovations that will shape the 21st century economy

Some subtle flag-waving going on, there.

Pod

Apparently what will be the new Nissan Leaf (stupid name) is electric only and is rated at 367mpg.

I realise the need for some way of comparing petrol, electric and hybrid economy, but I don't think miles per gallon makes much sense for something which has no gallons.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/11/nissan-pokes-fun-at-the-volt-claims-367-mpg-equivalent-for-leaf/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/11/nissan-pokes-fun-at-the-volt-claims-367-mpg-equivalent-for-leaf/

Titsy

Quoting: Pod
I realise the need for some way of comparing petrol, electric and hybrid economy, but I don't think miles per gallon makes much sense for something which has no gallons.

I disagree, I think for the everyday consumer this makes the comparison easy to understand...

composite urban fuel economy rating of 230 mpg

Is that US or UK?

F Body

Quoting: Titsy
Is that US or UK?

US as far as I know

Now lets see if they can actually build it

They still don't know where they are going to build the battery factory FFS and it's supposed to be on sale late 2010

IMHO this smacks of 100% old GM, i.e all smoke & mirrors and look where that got us

Incursus

They still don't know where they are going to build the battery factory FFS and it's supposed to be on say late 2010

Pod

I disagree, I think for the everyday consumer this makes the comparison easy to understand...

Miles per gallon, for a car you plug in and has no petrol tank, makes sense?
Gallons of what?

What mpg does a milk float get?
Or an electric kettle for that matter?

Roadkill

Zero because it doesn't go anywhere !

Titsy

Miles per gallon, for a car you plug in and has no petrol tank, makes sense?
Gallons of what?

Dude, did you actually read what I posted before responding...

If you tell a Joe Public consumer that it does 4 miles per kWh, are they going to be able to understand how that compares to a regular internal combustion car? Answer... BIG FAT NO!

So buy equating it into an equivalent MPG rating you enable them to understand running costs in relation to other cars and what they currently drive. It's never going to be 100% as electricity costs and petrol/diesel cost fluctuate independently, but then that's the whole reason the MPG is quoted as the cost of fuel does change, and this allows you to compair the running costs at a more simplistic level...

Without working it out or looking at there electric bill who can tell me how much a kWh costs? If you can then you're clearly a sad-act...

Titsy

If it had an internal combustion engine it would be shockingly bad... To much stopping and starting...

I find that I can't go many miles without stopping for a piss if i've had to much tea to drink...

Cunning Plan

I fund that I can't go many miles without stopping for a piss if i've had to much tea to drink...

Arr, the more commonly known, Miles Per Piss (MPP) factor.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

Nothing worse than a driver that desperatly needs a piss!

Titsy

Quoting: Incursus

How about a driver that needs a crap... ?

Incursus

Quoting: Incursus

How about a driver that needs a crap... ?

Unless its explosive diarrhea you can normally hold a crap comfortably for longer.

FUBAR

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Miles Per Piss (MPP) factor

No its PPP Pints Per Piss

Usually starts off well at around 3-4, then drops dramatically to around 0.9-1
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

They still don't know where they are going to build the battery factory FFS and it's supposed to be on sale late 2010

General Motors announced this morning that it will build a factory to manufacture lithium ion battery packs in Brownstown Township south of Detroit. The plant will produce the packs for the Chevrolet Volt and other upcoming vehicles using the Voltec powertrain. It will not, however, build the packs for the Buick plug-in hybrid crossover that debuts in 2011. Those will be built in a separate facility by LG Chem subsidiary Compact Power Inc.

From the Brownstown plant, GM will truck the batteries 20 miles up the road to the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant for installation.

The 160,000 square foot facility will initially employ about 100 people in a facility located in an existing building just off I-75. GM will spend about $43 million from the battery grants that were announced last week as part of the stimulus package. Some equipment has already been installed and initial pilot production should start as soon as the first quarter of 2010, and while some equipment is new, other equipment is being transferred from other GM facilities.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/08/x09sn_sn194.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\"> [img]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/08/x09sn_sn194.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>

[Source: General Motors]