2010 Range Rover Sport.

Started by F Body, October 06, 2009, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Not my favorite vehicle but 507bhp works for me

http://www.youtube.com/v/38N4QOgzZ74\">http://www.youtube.com/v/38N4QOgzZ74\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"425\" height=\"350\">

Andy

Still think its fugly as heck!

Quite a performer though, whats teh deal with an intercooler on a supercharged engine? Thought they only came on Turbo'd cars where the turbine would heat the air due to exhaust heat.

F Body

Quoting: Andy
whats teh deal with an inter cooler on a supercharged engine? Thought they only came on Turbo cars where the turbine would heat the air due to exhaust heat.

The inter cooler cools the air going into the engine on both a supercharged & turbocharged engine.
As you have already pointed out turbos generate heat and the compressing air in a supercharger also creates heat.
So the inter cooler cools the compressed air, because the cooler the air the more dense it is and therefore you get more bang for your buck

F Body

Andy

Cheers for that, didn't realise that a supercharger would produce that much heat from compression to be of an issue. Always thought the intercooler made sense on a turbo as it would effectively become hot from the connected turbines.

philoldsmobile

all gasses get hot under compression - thats the basic principal behind diesel (compression ignition) engines, you compress the diesel / air mixture so much it combusts without the need for a spark..

the heat transfer from a turbochargers vanes is nominal.

-schoolboy experiment-

take a bicycle pump and place your thumb over the end. compress the pump hard so there is high pressure air against your thumb. voila! your thumb will get hot!

Andy

Off topic slightly, anyone know a good way of cleaning the internals of an intercooler?

Incursus

Quoting: F Body
2010 Range Rover Sport.

Not my favorite vehicle but 507bhp works for me

No the LRX concept is my favorite.  13MY

Interior has also been seriously upgraded on both the Range Rover Sport and Discovery.  Range Rover get its new bling next year.  Most of the switch gear is ours.  My personal baby is the Terrain Control panel in the center console. Full Nobel Plating

12 model year is looking even better

Fieldy

Fieldy