Ford Mustang - Paint Damage

Started by Andy, February 16, 2010, 08:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Just more out of interest rather than anything else, how does frost cause this sort of damage?

I can't see it going for much more than £10k, although there seems to be a lot of interest.

Whats the going price for a full metal respray?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1968-Mustang-Coupe-331-CID_W0QQitemZ110494467747QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item19b9fbc6a3#ht_1132wt_1167\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">eBay Linky

Motorama

most likely put a shit car cover on the car when it was damp combined with your typical poor quality American respray.

if the paint has microblistered as suggested you have to take it all back to bare metal to stop it happening again, so not cheap to sort out

Gator

Roadkill

Quoting: Motorama
if the paint has microblistered as suggested you have to take it all back to bare metal to stop it happening again, so not cheap to sort out

Microblistering often happens at the painting stage where water droplets get under/into the paint.  Once the car sees daylight the water dries out and the blisters burst, leaving an array of spots (the visable primer where the paint is missing).

The D/S wing on my '58 had a minor repair many, many moons ago while still in the states . . . it had a full wing respray but the whole thing blistered.  Not that I care.

philoldsmobile

on thirdgens there was a similar problem - it was in the early days of synthetic paint finishes, and the primer reacted with the top coat after a couple of years.  In that instance, the blisters contained a liquid very similar in smell and consistency to polystyrene cement.

i hat this on the rear quarters and boot lid of my thirdgen, re painting lasted about a year, until it returned. sanding through the beige layer of primer and repainting again solved the problem. (the beige layer wasn't the base one, it was more like a high build)  when sanding this layer, the same glue like smell was very apparent.

this only affected cali cars, the ohio built ones lasted much better.

Andy

There was something about the Van Nuys car plant producing cars with worse paint jobs due to the strict environmental issues meaning them being painted with some fan system. Can't remember the exact details but I know our Camaro is a Cali car, currently suffering some major paint issues on the rear tailgate and bumper. We think this is due to it being involved in an accident at some point.

philoldsmobile

basically the cali (Van Nuys) factory had to meet stricter emissions laws than the Norwood ohio plant, part of this was the paint process, so the more polluting Norwood cars got a far more durable finish, eliminating the need for repainting at a later date... oddly enough, painting the car once with Norwood paint was ultimately cleaner than painting a cali car twice with cleaner paint!

Andy

Thats the one! I think I read it on thirdgen.org but finding it escapes me now.

Having a butchers at it on Saturday as it's only down the road.