f.a.o Edge.....

Started by Fieldy, February 25, 2010, 05:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldy

Mate, what is the software you use to flip your mac from Mac OSX- Window OS on your computer?

How much is it?

Is it hard to work?

LOL.

Basically my Bro-In-Law has bought a MacBook pro laptop. He wants to use various windows programmes in the office and then the Mac at home.

I feel it may be easier to just ring you

Cunning Plan

http://www.virtualbox.org/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.virtualbox.org/

Free open source emulator
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Cunning Plan

... and you can run it in a window within the Mac OS, so no re-booting into Windows
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

HardRockCamaro

I use Virtual Box to run Windows within the Mac OS.

Edge uses the built in Boot Camp utility that comes with OSX to dual boot into Windows so that when it starts up he picks which OS he wants.

EDGE

i use boot camp yeah, its free and it works perfectly.  I tried vm ware, parralles etc, non of them were good enough with regards to the mouse drivers and accuracy for using CAD software.

boot camp work fine, its a pain rebooting, i might try this virtual box thing though, ive not tried it yet.  Im always prepared to give it a go...

Fieldy

EDGE

any ideas how his software will react to a CAD usb dongle?

the other one wouldnt work as it thought the dongle was atached to the mac, as when it booted the mac grabbed it, therefor the virtual windows machine couldnt get it...

HardRockCamaro

No idea...

You install what they call "guest additions" for the guest OS and you can assign a USB device to it or tell it to ignore certain ones.  I have no idea how the dongle will fare though...

philoldsmobile

using boot camp here too, i just used a hacked version of autocad, so no dongle required.

Fieldy

Quoting: Cunning Plan
... and you can run it in a window within the Mac OS, so no re-booting into Windows

Just trying this on my bro-in-laws mac now.... Hope it works well

Fieldy

How does this thing work? I have installed the programme and got it running.

Now i need to run 'Sage' on it, How do I do this? I have Sage, do I just install it and Virtual box will just pick it up?

HardRockCamaro

Once you have installed Virtual Box and created a "virtual machine" which would be running say Windows Xp, you then "start" the virtual machine and when it has booted into Windows, just whack the Sage disc into the drive and install it in Windows just as you would on any other PC.

After installing Windows you should install what are called "guest additions", there are instructions on how to do this.  It adds useful features like automatic capture of the mouse pointer and better control over USB devices and so on.

Fieldy