Milton Keynes is a Town not a City !

Started by F Body, April 06, 2010, 07:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incursus

Quoting: FUBAR
The ONLY thing that I don't like is the lack of "alternative" nightlife, but I seem to do alright come the weekends so its not all bad

Yup have to agree with that.  But my taste in Music is pretty diverse so not to much of a problem for me.

HardRockCamaro

The problem with MK is a total lack of soul/character to any of the buildings or landscape.  It's an efficient but soulless place.  Seriously, whenever I'm there I feel like I'm driving around one giant business park.

Problem is you can;t have both I suppose and I think on balance I'd prefer the free flowing traffic and cleanliness...

F Body

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
The problem with MK is a total lack of soul/character to any of the buildings or landscape. It's an efficient but soulless place. Seriously, whenever I'm there I feel like I'm driving around one giant business park.

But I need to point out that is the impression everyone gets driving through MK, but some of the actual housing areas are very nice if you drive into them. Some of the local amenities are also good, just hidden from you driving through

Incursus

Head for Stony Stratford or any of the other outlying villages and towns if you want character.  Not forgetting all the villages that were incorporated into the new city such as loughton and middleton. You wouldn't even know you were slap bang in the middle of a "city". Some lovely old pubs to be found.

So yes another great thing about MK is you have both worlds.  Don't get me wrong It's never gonna compare with somewhere like Cambridge for character.

F Body

Quoting: F Body
just hidden from you driving through

Quoting: Incursus
Some lovely old pubs to be found.

Well there's another misconception blown away, the only pubs I've ever seen are modern pubs or the crap ones in the "town" centre

FUBAR

There are indeed some lovely old pubs, especially along the Canal or a couple allong the old watling street & in places like woolstone, simpson, or wherever the old beams is (refurbished after burning down)
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Shifty

The old beams = Shenley Lodge (200 yards up the road from my house)
Furzton lodge = Other side of the lake to RK and about 25 mins walk for me.

Couple of ye olde pubs in Loughton, about 20 mins walk from my house.

So plenty within walking distance of...... well anywhere.