Camaro Diagnostics Part 2.

Started by F Body, June 02, 2011, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

The old Gal is not starting again

Last night at the Northampton Meet she took 10 minutes to start

Rob and myself tinkered under the bonnet and he was convinced it is fuel starvation

Drove back to Luton and stopped to buy a tankful of fuel and she started first click

Anyway tonight I changed the fuel filter :

Checked for leaks and the bitch wouldn't start

The alarm disarms, the fuel pump primes, the security light goes out and she cranks like a good un

Don't have any time to further investigate before next weeks TT holiday, but sometime I'll check :

1/ Spark.

2/ Fueling ( the pump primes again after cranking, so I'm guessing the injectors are firing ).

Any other ideas

Andy

I reckon it's that alarm.

Can you not get her running and take her to somewhere that installs them, see if they can run over it and check for faults, or just remove it?

F Body

Quoting: Andy
I reckon it's that alarm.

Can't take the bugger out, you wouldn't believe how many wires there are, I'm guessing well over 50 !

I'll disable what I can using the laptop and see what happens

VIPER

Speak to Dave at Atlantic Sports Cars... He knows his stuff with Auto electrics alarms and stuff..............

He runs his own company out of ASC

http://www.dkcaraudioandsecurity.co.uk/www.dkcaraudioandsecurity.co.uk/info.php?p=15\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.dkcaraudioandsecurity.co.uk/www.dkcaraudioandsecurity.co.uk/info.php?p=15

FUBAR

I know it may seem anal but i like the idea of writing the date & mileage on the fuel filter for when you changed it. Very

I'm going to nick that one...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Andy

Quoting: FUBAR
I know it may seem anal but i like the idea of writing the date & mileage on the fuel filter for when you changed it. Very  

S'alright until he Wax Oils over for the yearly, monthly, weekly under treatment  

Tis a good idea. The guy who owned my Mondeo did it with the battery, pollen filter and cam belt. Haven't checked the fuel filter yet. Martin, you didn't own a Ford Mondeo once?

Incursus

Cunning Plan

You should be manually keeping receipts and writing date changes down in a 'DIY' service history anyway

Here's what mine looks like:

[/img]

As I say, all of that is backed up with a receipt of parts purchase.

Anyway, yes. Alarm fault codes first I think, then work to spark etc - I would assume that there would be no spark if the immob. is cutting it off.

Also, have you tried and ECU reset? Not sure how you keep the battery charged when it is not in use?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Titsy

Quoting: F Body
the pump primes again after cranking, so I'm guessing the injectors are firin

I would check it rather than guess... Just because the Pump runs doesn't have any bearing on weather the injectors are firing... I'd also check the fuel rail pressure...

FUEL/COMPRESSION/IGNITION It's one of the three!

Roadkill

Quoting: Titsy
FUEL/COMPRESSION/IGNITION It's one of the three!

And in a "newer" vehicle it's normally the latter.

F Body

Quoting: Roadkill

Well I was taught many years ago by a seasoned veteran mechanic that 9/10 faults are electrical based

F Body

Just opened the bonnet and had the video camera at the ready to see if the old Gal is sparking

Turned the key and the bitch started first click

After which Management said " If it's running why are you swearing so loudly "

Andy

This screams an intermitant connection somewhere I reckon. If it was mechanical, it would either work or not. This however sounds like a loose connector somewhere, possibly in the alarm.

Next time the girl doesn't start give the wiring a good poking!

Titsy

Quoting: Roadkill

Unlikely to be ignition to be honest, with one coil per plug the chances of them all going bad are minimal... Worth checking though if you get the fault back...

F Body

Unlikely to be ignition to be honest, with one coil per plug the chances of them all going bad are minimal... Worth checking though if you get the fault back...

Agreed and if it was a fuel problem you'd expect it have issues whilst running, either at tick over or at high rpm, but she's runs faultlessly

I've put an old spark plug in the glove box, so when she does it, I can tell if the bitch is sparking

Roadkill

Unlikely to be ignition to be honest, with one coil per plug the chances of them all going bad are minimal

If one fails it's likely to stop the engine starting.  

That's been my experience with modern injection coil pack failures.

I was referring to something a little broader, however . . . .

F Body

I know it may seem anal but i like the idea of writing the date & mileage on the fuel filter for when you changed it.

I do it with all the consumables

Mind you it's not like I won't know what was done and when

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Camaro%20Z28%20History/?albumview=slideshow\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Camaro%20Z28%20History/?albumview=slideshow

It's bound not to start now

I've spent the last 5 hr's and