Show your fleet..

Started by Cunning Plan, July 25, 2011, 01:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motorama

TBH i've been starting it on petrol then switching it accross as thats what im used to but the previous owner has run it solely on gas for 8 years and 80k so i guess it cant be that risky

I've had a lot of LPG vehicles and never really had any major problems with any of them, other than needing minor adjustments.

Perry, the previous owner of the 55, went to a lot of trouble to make the engine bay look right on the car, even had the year specific battery shipped over from the USA, as well as correct decals, hose clips and so on. Its no trailer queen either, he did 8000 miles in the car between 2010 and 2011 MOTs

philoldsmobile

Starting on petrol is very important - the gas id drawn from the tank as a liquid, then the vaporiser (large round thing with two hoses on it) turns it into a gas using the cars coolant to heat it. try and run gas before that has warmed up and you can seriously damage it (a clue is if its got ice formed on it) pure gas systems work differently, and draw gas from the tank - these are not road legal.

Trying to start on gas can lead to ice build up and improper vaporisation. Done properly LPG should smell. drive and feel no different to petrol, if you notice a difference, walk away.

Does the system have the green inspection certificate? you're insurance is void if it doesn't, although most gas installers will be able to inspect the car and issue one for a small fee.

Gas 4 cars in Bow Brickhill are the daddies - they do fantastic work.

philoldsmobile

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Careful.
Starting on LPG is a bad idea and risks an Intake explosion.
For the cost saving on probably 0.5L per cold startup, or around 30p, I don't thInk it's worth it. Handy for emergency use though...

absolutely right. Modern systems wont allow you to start the car on gas anyway.

Motorama

I thought this thread was show your fleet not a lecture on LPG, i post some vehicles to chat about in line with the subject of the thread and rather than discuss you highlight a negative

philoldsmobile

If that 'negative' avoids someone ending up on the wrong end of a prosecution then surely the decent thing to do would be to mention it....

does the jeep have a certificate?

Motorama

It has an older cert, i have a guy locally that installs and i will get him to check it over for safety and give it a service as i always do, it's been on gas a long time and runs fine on gas or petrol

I have a motor trade policy and they dont care about the cert, i've owned a dozen vehicles on gas, most with expensive conversions and only a couple came with a cert, and if an insurance company requires one, not all do, they are as you say fairly easy to get

philoldsmobile

there is now a register, ALL insurance companies will need to know about a conversion (away from trade policies) but if its either got a certificate, or is on the register then they wont charge any extra.

http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/buying_preowned_vehicle.php\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/buying_preowned_vehicle.php

if its all legit, as i'm sure it is, the Jeep would be an excelent daily driver - i still rate them as the best vehicle jeep ever made.

quite quick for a 4x4 too.

ianjpage

Quoting: Motorama

I thought this thread was show your fleet

Indeed...

HardRockCamaro

I read it as show your feet.

So I posted a pic of what I have that is a foot but I think the mods removed it...  

Andy

Quoting: Motorama
Perry, the previous owner of the 55, went to a lot of trouble to make the engine bay look right on the car, even had the year specific battery shipped over from the USA, as well as correct decals, hose clips and so on. Its no trailer queen either, he did 8000 miles in the car between 2010 and 2011 MOTs

Yeah, thats the one you brought to the meet, stunning!

Have you got that Thunderbird on the back of the trailer or is that from a while ago?

Motorama

T Bird belongs to a friend, i took it to the DVLA office at Borehamwood for its inspection for them a couple of weeks ago

VIPER

2011 Transit

Astra Coupe Turbo

ZZR 600

2002 Viper

Fieldy

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer that looks like this:-

And a Mondeo, which is blue if you care? And if you're a real geek, it's the 2.0 Petrol, Zetec-S... Which means it has some fat bumped looking body kit

philoldsmobile

We had a couple of those Astras at palmersport, they were used as instructor training cars. reasonably quick for what they are. same engine in the VX220 turbo goes like bloody hell.

Interesting colour on the ZZR600 - not seen many like that. Is that Shelby sat on the ZZR? bloody el, how old is she now - i remember when you were on labour alert!

Incursus

Well I still have the Mustang and also have a Mondeo but I can't be bothered to post a pic because...well its a Mondeo..