Classic and historic cars exempted from MoT

Started by Incursus, May 21, 2012, 08:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incursus

Vehicles manufactured before 1960 will no longer have to have to pass an MoT from 18 November, Roads Minister Mike Penning said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326

Good news for RK then?

Fieldy

Mixed about that... But it does kind of make me want to buy a pre 60's car and keep it ****** for a laugh

Roadkill

Quoting: Incursus
Good news for RK then?

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

Now, If only they paid my insurance, too . . .

Incursus

Quoting: Fieldy
Mixed about that...

I know what you mean I have visions of a 1958 Caddy careering towards me with knackered brakes and bald tyres

Roadkill

I'd be more worried about the crumbling ball joints . . . . . Or the self-igniting carb !!

FUBAR

Quoting: Fieldy
Mixed about that...

definately agree why would they do that? They should have rolled forward the Tax exemption to everything pre 1990 instead

not driving infront of Dean's caddy...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

Quoting: FUBAR
why would they do that

Statistics.

Quoting: BBC
The vehicles make up about 0.6% of the total number of licensed vehicles in Britain but are involved in just 0.03% of road casualties and accidents.

Titsy

So quick maths says that 5% of pre 1960 cars are involved in accidents...

Fieldy

By todays standards, it just surprises me with the whole 'One accident is one accident too many....' way of thinking.

It will be awesome to see the older motors still on the road, kind of gives me visions of Mexico lol, and I would definitely buy one based on it, but as said already, driving in front of one would make me nervous!

Roadkill

To be fair, old cars get a bad rap for their braking capabilities.  If you need to - and are used to the vehicle - you can stop them pretty darn quick in an emergency.

It's the brake-fade over multiple junctions that's the issue.  One-off stops are fine, but even with brake fade I can stop the Caddy (and have done) rapidly.

No, they're not as good as modern cars but they aren't that bad, either, providing you drive them appropriately . . . . but that applies to all vehicles, of course.

Incursus

Quoting: Roadkill
To be fair, old cars get a bad rap for their braking capabilities. If you need to - and are used to the vehicle - you can stop them pretty darn quick in an emergency.

It's the brake-fade over multiple junctions that's the issue. One-off stops are fine, but even with brake fade I can stop the Caddy (and have done) rapidly.

No, they're not as good as modern cars but they aren't that bad, either, providing you drive them appropriately . . . . but that applies to all vehicles, of course.

Assuming your forced into keeping them in good condition by having them MOT'd every year

Andy

I was following Dave when we were taking the Mustang to have its brakes overhauled, it had passed an MOT no more than a month before, but could he stop that thing coming up to traffic lights... For every junction he started braking earlier and earlier until we got it right. The first lights he overshot by a good car length much to the amusement of the people next to us. Luckily none of them were tight crossroads or town centres! We put it down to being so used to the laziness of a modern car, hit the brakes, car stops.

Roadkill

Hence I said "used to the vehicle".

Anyway.

Be afraid.

The Cadillac goes in for her MoT tomorrow . . . she could be terrorising motorists 100% legally by the weekend !

Incursus

Quoting: Roadkill
The Cadillac goes in for her MoT tomorrow . . . she could be terrorising motorists 100% legally by the weekend

I don't know, what with Sammy back on the road and now this....it's just not safe out there anymore