Always use axle stands

Started by 55starchief, June 27, 2006, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55starchief

Taken from PontiacZone where mike is the admin

I can't count how many times I've done something so stupid that it almost cost me my life. I can add another to that list though. I was welding the new collectors to my exhaust for the new headers this morning, and got in such a rush, I didn't bother putting jack stands under the car. The jack slipped of and the car fell on my head. The frame put a huge gash across my brow that was to the bone, and about an inch wide and 4 inches long. The only thing that saved me was when the car slipped the ballancer pulley caught on the jack, keeping the car from crushing my skull.

I now have a concusion and about 30 stitches across my brow. Not to mention a headache from hell. When I pulled myself out from under the car, the blood just started spraying everywhere. I was home alone with my two kids, and I screamed for my son, Alex to call his mom. Then my neighbor was coming up the drive on his tractor, and he stopped to help. I think he was more scared than me, because he could see the gash and all the blood, and I couldn't. So my wife hurries home from work and takes me to the hospital. I get scanned and poked on for a good hour, then told I'm gonna need a plastic surgeon to sew me up. Another 2 hours later, he shows up and makes me pretty again.

I can't believe that someone as anal about this stuff as I am, forgot to put jack stands under my car. See, I had this happen to me before. The same car fell on me and put a huge scar acrossed my chest. Ever since I have preached to everyone about these same safety precautions. Then I turn around and get in a rush, and neglect something so important. I really hope all of you guys are never neglecting to use your jack stands. We all get in a hurry, and think that since we'll only be under the car for a few seconds, it won't matter, but this time it did. I should be dead.

Roadkill

I think we're all guilty of neglecting our safety on occasion.

Some more then others . . .

ianjpage

wow he really was lucky!!

Giblets

FUBAR

Ouch!

Reinforces my already persistant use of axle stands!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

Quoting: FUBAR

Ditto but but I'm just about to jack up the Camaro and put it on four axles stands which doesn't sound bad until..............

I explain that due to the lack of garage space I'm going to removed the wheels on one side , jack it up and carefully move the car other to the other side and then remove the other two wheels

That's becuase Pristine ain't keen on doing two wheels at a time
Started waffling about colour match and extra costs etc.

Giblets

Can't just leave her with them then?

Or just trying to save a few pennies by re-fitting them yourself?

EDGE

Quoting: F Body

Quoting: FUBAR

Ditto but but I'm just about to jack up the Camaro and put it on four axles stands which doesn't sound bad until..............

I explain that due to the lack of garage space I'm going to removed the wheels on one side , jack it up and carefully move the car other to the other side and then remove the other two wheels

That's becuase Pristine ain't keen on doing two wheels at a time
Started waffling about colour match and extra costs etc.

what if you could borrow a set of wheels just to roll it in and out of the garage ?

EDGE

F Body

Quoting: EDGE
what if you could borrow a set of wheels just to roll it in and out of the garage ?

Even the spare from  the GMC won't fit because of the deep offsets

But the wheels are off now :

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Misc/DSC00427.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">

55starchief

Well now the wheels are off best gett to cleaning the underneth of that car mate i can see some dirt

F Body

Quoting: 55starchief
Well now the wheels are off best gett to cleaning the underneth of that car mate i can see some dirt

Nope I cleaned the discs , brake calipers , exhaust system and bottom of the engine/gearbox with paint shop wipes before I took the pictures

Also cleaned the grass out of the radiator shroud , told you that field at Stratford was too bumpy

Not going anywhere near it whilst it's on four axle stands

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
I cleaned the discs , brake calipers , exhaust system and bottom of the engine/gearbox with paint shop wipes before I took the pictures

Hardcore ?

cuban pete

had a lotus esprit on my chest. funny really , no damage to me , but the cars spoiler cracked. maybe says something about lotus's

Roadkill

Quoting: cuban pete
maybe says something about lotus's

Or you.