Boy those Audi RS4's are fast!!!

Started by HardRockCamaro, August 04, 2006, 04:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardRockCamaro

Had some good fun today playing with an Audi RS4 Estate (erm, on my way back from Germany on their near empty Autobahn...).
I was in the Caddy and knew I had no chance but decided to give it a go.

Every time, from 80mph to 150mph it pulled probably almost about an 1/8th of a mile on me.
Except once, when it wasn't pulling at all (I suspect he was trying out a higher gear).
At 150mph and 4,500rpm I would *very* slowly reel him in.

We pulled alongside each other afterwards (while moving) and I gave him the thumbs up and he gave me the thumbs up back.
The driver of the brand new BMW 530i who tried to join in was left in our wake poor fella.

Considering the Audi is a turbo'd 4.2L V8 that produces 420BHP at an eye watering 7,800rpm I didn't think the Caddy did too bad.

And my faith was restored when 2 guys in a 1994 Mercades 600SL who had been watching decided to try out on with me afterwards.
The Caddy pulled away from them every time (wasn't a lot in it, pulled about 5 car lengths from 70 - 120mph).
That's a 6.0L V12 producing 389BHP but it is hampered by it's 2.65:1 rear axle ratio...  (the Caddy is 3.73:1)

Goatman

Benz's are heavy cars, too. Nice run.

HardRockCamaro

Yup, 4100lbs compared to the STS's 4,000lbs

ianjpage

hehe nicely done nothing like playing around at speed in a nice luxury cruiser

HardRockCamaro

Yeah, what surprised me was how refined and composed the Cady was at speed.  The back end on hatch backs goes light but not so the Caddy.  In fact, it was only when I wondered how fast I was going and flicked my eyes down to the speedo and saw the needle heading past 150 that I actually realised how refined the car was.  Not much engine noise although there was a fair bit of wind noise (gee there's a surprise!) and she was happily maintaining the cabin temperature at my prefered setting!
Big luxo saloon cars are the way forward methinks...

FUBAR

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
The back end on hatch backs goes light but not so the Caddy

thats cos it weighs 4000lbs!!!

Fair play tho dude nice to give those germans a run for their money, especially the bimmaz
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

philoldsmobile

ubersaloons are definatley the way forward..

Giblets

ianjpage

Quoting: Giblets

I want an STS now.

HardRockCamaro

Having checked it seems the RS4 runs out of steam at 152mph.  Should've kept my foot planted...  

Actually, probably best I didn't.  It was reckless enough anyway as a blow out at those speeds would not have been funny...
Done it once, know how the car behaves and what it can do, don't need to do it again.

55starchief

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
a blow out at those speeds would not have been funny...

Indeed you would need tyre rated at a minimum of Z, ZR or W

HardRockCamaro

It does, brand new (2 weeks ago) Pirellis with a 168mph W rating.