Urban Myths - Speed Cameras

Started by FUBAR, September 01, 2006, 06:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUBAR

Just been chatting to guys at work and the usual "I've been told..." and "aparantly if you..." points came up so here we go...

Apparantly...

1:) The 40mph Average Speed Cameras on the M1 Can't record you're time & therefore penalise you if you enter & leave the roadworks in different Lanes.  apparantly applies to the schemes in Northampton too.

2:) The Variable speed cameras on the M25 are a) set 10mph above the advertised limit.  and b) are off completely if the Variable Limit isn't in use

3:) If flashed by a static Camera there's a 1in36 chance its out of film (I thought they were all digital now)

Note: I will not be risking my licence by trying out any of these!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

Quoting: FUBAR
2:) The Variable speed cameras on the M25 are a) set 10mph above the advertised limit. and b) are off completely if the Variable Limit isn't in use

Having done the journey many, many times I can believe that . . .

1:) The 40mph Average Speed Cameras on the M1 Can't record you're time & therefore penalise you if you enter & leave the roadworks in different Lanes

Having been in a car with someone doing 65mph the whole way and he didn't get penalised I can believe that, too.

F Body

The 40mph Average Speed Cameras on the M1 Can't record you're time & therefore penalise you if you enter & leave the roadworks in different Lanes. apparantly applies to the schemes in Northampton too.

Ah but if you look at the cameras some cover more than one lane !

i.e the inside one is pointing across the inside lane towards the middle and the middle one pointing out towards the outsdie lane.
I know that they say that the reading accuracy is 95% but they don't quote a reading distance ?
It's my belief that they can read plates in both lanes at different distances asuming that the view is not blocked by another vehicle.

Jamieg285

Quoting: F Body
It's my belief that they can read plates in both lanes at different distances asuming that the view is not blocked by another vehicle.

The answer to that it tailgate car in front  

ianjpage

Note: I will not be risking my licence by trying out any of these!

all sound fairly plausable, but Ditto i aint trying it!!!!