Replacing wheel cylinders

Started by Jamieg285, September 26, 2006, 02:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamieg285

I'm going to have a go at changing my wheel cylinders this weekend.  Having just taken some off the spare car, I have the following question -

How do I remove the old ones without ruining the old pipes?  On the spare, the hardline twisted as I turned the union, effectively ruining them.

55starchief

No easy way mate, i trust you have a flange nut spanner? As you  have found out they eather come out easily or twist the pie ruining it

F Body

As 55 says it ain't gona be easy, try soaking them over night with penetrating oil first
Really depends on how corroded the pipes are in the first place ?

55starchief

Are these new wheel cylinders or are they used? also are your current pipes reasonably new or are they old as if your swapping out for new you would be best to replace any old pipes now rather than later

Roadkill

New pipes are certainly better.

Standard copper brake pipe is pretty cheap to have prepared . . I had a few metres cut and flanged before and had change of a fiver.

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill
Standard copper brake pipe is pretty cheap to have prepared . . I had a few metres cut and flanged before and had change of a fiver.

I have a bench flaring tool like the autorob stores use anyway

Jamieg285

Quoting: 55starchief
i trust you have a flange nut spanner?

No, do I need one?

Any idea what size pipe ends I need? I'm guessing it's imperial, but there's UNF and BSF options.

55starchief

Quoting: Jamieg285
No, do I need one?

yeah as it grips 5 of the 6 sides and stops you rounding the corners off

Roadkill

No, do I need one?

No.

I've never used one.

Most I've done tend to be 7/16" AF . . . But, believe it of not, a decent quality 11mm spanner fits much better - open end, obviously.

The only time I've had this method fail is when the Flange nut has already been f*cked up by someone else.

Note - I emphasise decent quality, as el-cheapo ones will deform slightly allowing the nut to slip . . .

55starchief

Note - I emphasise decent quality, as el-cheapo ones will deform slightly allowing the nut to slip . . .

hence the reason you buy a flange nut one which would be the same price as a decent 11mm

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
hence the reason you buy a flange nut one which would be the same price as a decent 11mm

That wasn't the question though.

do I need one?

Answer - No (as long as you have a decent 11mm spanner)

Jamieg285

Any idea what size pipe ends I need? I'm guessing it's imperial, but there's UNF and BSF options.

Roadkill

I'd guess UNF, Mate.

Almost certain in fact.

Do you have any thread guages ?

Jamieg285

Do you have any thread guages ?

Nope

Roadkill

Nope

I'll see what ones I've got . . . I think only Metric and UNC but I'll check.

If I've got UNF I'll bring them on Sunday . . .