staples to naples? whaddya think?

Started by philoldsmobile, September 12, 2006, 01:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Ah the old selling it for a friend trick

The speedo digits look well tampered with

philoldsmobile

they do.......BUT..... it is an eastern bloc car, so its quite likely they simply dont line up as well as they would in a western car..

what fool ever believes the milage on a cheap old used car without strong evidence to support it though?

philoldsmobile

also bear in mind the '60' is only just rolling over, the rest of the digits look a little high, but in line.. i've had many a car that would have all digits out of line just before abd just after a rollover, my chevette was like that, it took about 300 miles after a rollover to line up (if it was a 10k rollover) and  the digits would 'creep' round about 50 miles before...

i KNEW the milage was genuine, because the car had been in my family from new.

55starchief

Ah a classic. I had a 1360 estelle paid £50 for it and ran it for about 6 months befroe trading it for a saab 9000 turbo. Got £1000 on the trade in. It was an awesome car with the motor hanging out back you could get a super powerslide on wet roads. My mate had the 1100 estelle and we broke the rocker shaft about 20 mile soutside of skeggy and drove it back on 3 cylinders, a quick trip to the local scrap yard got a new rocker shaft for a coiuple of £ and 3 weeks later i finaly got around to setting the tappets i also remember that my gear stick would pop out of its gate and flap around when you were driving so you would have to guess what gear you were in before changing

HardRockCamaro

£500 for an 89 Skoda?!

Somebody somewhere is having a very large giraffe...

Roadkill

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
£500 for an 89 Skoda?!

Err, That's £50, but still having a Turkish, I agree . . . .

HardRockCamaro

Yeah but according to the questions his reserve is £500!

I'm with you, I wouldn't even give 50 quid for it...

Giblets

That reminds me.

I'm off rallying next Thursday!

Finding a reasonable car for under £100 isn't as easy as you'd think with all of these banger rallies taking place these days!

philoldsmobile

wow is the time really here?

good luck o tall one!!

Giblets

Unbelievable!

The old crate made it there and back and clocked 3000 miles of hard driving. Those Volvo 440's just refuse to die!

Will furnish you all with pics and a proper write up when I get time......

All I can say is - You guys would absolutely love it!

The pics will inspire you to come up with a theme for next year!

Roadkill

Quoting: Giblets

I'd be very tempted for next time . . . .

What sort of costs are involved (minus the car) ?

I'm guessing fuel was around £300+ ?

ianjpage

Unbelievable!

The old crate made it there and back and clocked 3000 miles of hard driving. Those Volvo 440's just refuse to die!

Will furnish you all with pics and a proper write up when I get time......

Nice to seeya back mate - sounds like you had a good time..

maybe an MKB Staples to naples next year thenwith a afew vehicles hehehe

Roadkill

Quoting: ianjpage
maybe an MKB Staples to naples next year

Looks like the Chav'scort will be stopping on for winter () so it could be available for next years' without the worry of storing it over winter.

Giblets

We spent £340 on fuel and about £100 on road tolls.

Accommodation was typically about 50 Euros per room (sleeping 3) so not too bad).

After a serious lash up the night previous one dude driving a Mini decided to handbrake turn it into a parking space first thing in the morning in Switzerland. The police officer watching this had a sense of humour failure and then promptly breathalized and robbed him of 1000 Euros! Those Swiss bastards mean business.

At the other end of the scale the Italian police just outside Naples just sat and watched local pikey lads buy some of the cars for pocket money and stage a demolition derby type event on public roads!

Although to be fair this wasn't far removed from everyday Italian driving anyway.

I will have the opportunity to bag a place for a team next year (not sure if I'll be allowed to go or not!) as veterans get first refusal, so even if I don't go I'll bag a spot for you guys if you are still keen.

Perfect size of teams are 3 so driving can be split nicely but there is room for everyones stuff still.

F Body

Welcome back Rafe looks like you had a blinder
Could this be an offical MKB event next year ?

ianjpage

Quoting: Roadkill

Quoting: ianjpage
maybe an MKB Staples to naples next year

Looks like the Chav'scort will be stopping on for winter () so it could be available for next years' without the worry of storing it over winter.

Oh yeah gorra be done!

We spent £340 on fuel and about £100 on road tolls.

Accommodation was typically about 50 Euros per room (sleeping 3) so not too bad).

After a serious lash up the night previous one dude driving a Mini decided to handbrake turn it into a parking space first thing in the morning in Switzerland. The police officer watching this had a sense of humour failure and then promptly breathalized and robbed him of 1000 Euros! Those Swiss bastards mean business.

At the other end of the scale the Italian police just outside Naples just sat and watched local pikey lads buy some of the cars for pocket money and stage a demolition derby type event on public roads!

Although to be fair this wasn't far removed from everyday Italian driving anyway.

I will have the opportunity to bag a place for a team next year (not sure if I'll be allowed to go or not!) as veterans get first refusal, so even if I don't go I'll bag a spot for you guys if you are still keen.

Perfect size of teams are 3 so driving can be split nicely but there is room for everyones stuff still.

Not stoopid cost split 3 ways then....

yeah so cars of 3 - we could prob do 2 or maybe 3 cars???

Quoting: F Body
Could this be an offical MKB event next year ?

I rekcon we could do it quiet easily!!

philoldsmobile

glad to see you got back ok dude...

wont be at the fancot, so will speek to you soon...

philoldsmobile

i'm a definate 100% and totaly serious about doing this..

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
i'm a definate 100% and totaly serious about doing this..

I'm interested but will need some more info . . .

Giblets

I have a complete costs sheet for our rally which when divided 3 ways worked out at £550 each (and that was everything inc fuel, hotels, car, tolls, entry, car MOT, tax, insurance etc).

It helped that we managed to sell our car to some chump for £250 when we got back!

if anyone wants to see the costs spreadsheet I can mail it to them........

the website will give you more info of course.....

http://www.staples2naples.com\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">www.staples2naples.com

Roadkill

I have a complete costs sheet for our rally which when divided 3 ways worked out at £550 each (and that was everything inc fuel, hotels, car, tolls, entry, car MOT, tax, insurance etc).

Thanks.

That's more helpful.

It helped that we managed to sell our car to some chump for £250 when we got back!

Muppet.