Is it American ?

Started by F Body, November 22, 2006, 02:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Meet the latest full sized pickup truck in America.

It has just rolled off the line at a new production facility in San Antonio, Texas.
The facility took three years to build and cost $1.28 billion. At full capacity it can pump out 200,000 a year !

It's called the Tundra and it's made by Toyota

55starchief

I guess so, its a model only made for the usa and would guess that most of the parts are made in the USA aswell

HardRockCamaro

To be American, for me it must:

1) Be badged by an American parent comany
2) Be designed primarily for the American market
3) Ideally be built in America but I appreciate that doesn't always happen, eg the 4th Gen Camaro was built over the border in Canada.

Cunning Plan

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

sixpack2639

Quoting: HardRockCamaro

It's actually close mate. GM owns a fair chunk of Toyota. That's why the Chevy Malibu and the Toyota Corolla are virtually the same car. They rolled off the same assembly line!

ianjpage

Hmm tough one to call yes in one sense as it "made in america" but no in another cos toyota aint really an american brand......

Roadkill

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
To be American, for me it must:

2) Be designed primarily for the American market
3) Ideally be built in America but I appreciate that doesn't always happen, eg the 4th Gen Camaro was built over the border in Canada.

Ditto.

But saying that nowadays nothing is 100% American or 100% British.

It's all a mish-mash of foreign and "domestic" parts.

F Body

Quoting: Roadkill
But saying that nowadays nothing is 100% American or 100% British.

Probally the nearest you can get to a " domestic "  product in America or a European country is the new Mini !
The Bodyshell and now the engine is made in Britian, a classic design, British badged with over 85% British part content...............

Made by BMW

F Body

Quoting: Roadkill

What's really scary are the Chinese products, they are improving fast and some of the major manufacturers now claim 100% local content

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: F Body
The Bodyshell and now the engine is made in Britian, a classic design, British badged with over 85% British part content...............

But not British badged, parent company is German.