Why go for a generic 350ci

Started by 55starchief, January 02, 2007, 10:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardRockCamaro

Well, a 32 valve motor doesn't have a much low down grunt as a 16valve V8.  Plus we're talking about one which is smaller in capacity than a typical SBC so obviously that means less torque.

But the Caddy weighs over 4,000lbs and certainly doesn't feel weak low down (although not as grunty as the 5L TPI in my IROC).  With the 3.73:1 gears and a slightly higher (stock) stall torque converter it goes well enough.

Although low-mid range is more useful on the road, in an out and out race making loads of HP at high revs is the winning combo.  Depends what you want it for really.

Personally I like the idea of an old Caddy with the modern Northstar in it.  Maybe even the supercharged one as them old sleds are well heavy and the 4.6L motor could probably do with a hand...

55starchief

They used the aurora V8's in IRL race cars and they were making 700hp

Roadkill

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Maybe even the supercharged one as them old sleds are well heavy and the 4.6L motor could probably do with a hand...

Didn't I read somewhere that they reduced the capacity of the Supercharged blocks ?

HardRockCamaro

Quoting: Roadkill
Didn't I read somewhere that they reduced the capacity of the Supercharged blocks ?

Yup, down to 4.4L from the usual 4.6L.

470ish BHP though...

Roadkill

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
470ish BHP though...

Aaaaah Yeah.

Now one of those would be worth having.