Probably cooked it

Started by CJ-IROCZ, February 24, 2007, 09:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ-IROCZ

The garage put the transmission today and its not leaking but has now lost 3rd gear AND the engine overheated.

When it rains it pours

anybody want a cheap IROC

Roadkill

Sounds odd, Mate.

You didn't drive far when it originally went did you ?

CJ-IROCZ

Not really. probably about 20 mins worth of traffic driving.

I was driving in trafic and didn't really go above 40 mph so i wouldn't have been going fast enough to select 3rd though , would I ? so it may have been like it for a while

Rocky

Rob had probs with overheating a bit as it was standing so long and had a air lock.

CJ-IROCZ

Yeah it might be an air lock.

This car was standing for 2 years and although i change the coolant there might still be an air lock.

Least of my worries at the mo

Titsy

40mph with little throttle I would expect it to be in 3rd... Sorry mate... I think what's to be learned from this is that if you have a trans problem, STOP and get the car recovered... It will work out cheaper....

Unfortunatly it's a costly way to learn.... I'm sorry to hear it isn't a cheap fix... Was the failure in any way contributed to the work that was done before the trans was fitted?

EDGE

3rd gen over heating... is the little plastic flap still under the car, it deflects air through the rad...

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: Titsy
I think what's to be learned from this is that if you have a trans problem, STOP and get the car recovered... It will work out cheaper....

Yep i'd have to agree it was a stupid mistke. I'm paying the price now though

Edge the plastic is still there mate. I'll check the usual suspects like thermostat ect , i really should have changed it straight off the bat with the car been standing so long

This could take a while to fix, i reckon i should start a thread in the project section

Fieldy

that sucks.....sorry to hear

Roadkill

Quoting: Fin170703
Edge the plastic is still there mate

Is it the right one for your car ?

It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of an early one on a later third gen . . . .

Try flushing the system . . . inspect what comes out, too.