Why are people so unreliable...

Started by Big Mouse, March 14, 2007, 08:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mouse

..like the two who offered to crew for me this year. Free event entry and food/beverages for the weekend, crew shirts - short of paying them I couldn't offer any more.

Now the season is a couple of weeks away they've both disappeared off the face of the bloody earth!!

It really hacks me off that people just change their mind without letting you know.

Sorry,  

Fieldy

dude....I would love to do that, damn me taking the new contract and working every other weekend!!!!   (only did it for the cash!)

Good luck with replacing them......Shouldn't be too hard, they don't sound like they were brilliantly reliable anyway!!

ianjpage

oh no sorry to hear that ray, nothing more annoying than  being let down that close to the start of the season!!

Where are the dates of events you be running at?

55starchief

Quoting: Big Mouse

It really hacks me off that people just change their mind without letting you know.

is the way of the world today, we used to have the same problem with the beatrice. People would offer to come and crew and the friday before we were due to go off and race they would drop out. In the end we stopped bothering and made the car work with a crew of 4

Big Mouse

Quoting: Fieldy
Good luck with replacing them......Shouldn't be too hard

You wouldn't believe how hard it is, I can find a driver on any street corner but crew? No one wants to do it.

Quoting: ianjpage
Where are the dates of events you be running at?
Loads!! Street Eliminator meets are on: Easter weekend is the first, then end of april, 1st weekend in May, mid june, end of june, 3rd weekend in july, August bank holiday and last weekend in September.  

Draws breath

Then SRS is another 5 meets plus the other events that I'd like to have raced at, King of Europe in poland being one of them.

Quoting: 55starchief
In the end we stopped bothering and made the car work with a crew of 4
When I were lad, I used to dream of having a crew of 4

Makes you want to sell the car and take up golf - it'd be easier to find a driver and crew it myself. No thats not a job offer before you all start PM'ing me

55starchief

I can remember being at donnington for the last round of the euroboss, in the garage next to us was damon hills arrows with a team of 3 guys trying to make it run, hell if arrows couldnt manage it what chance did these guys have.

everyone thinks motorsport is exciting but being crew is bloody hard work

Pod

What does crewing actually involve?

Jamieg285

Quoting: Pod

Everything apart from driving

55starchief

Quoting: Jamieg285
Everything apart from driving

pretty much

Big Mouse

Quoting: Pod

Thats about right really plus

Helping load/unload the car
Checking fuel/fluid levels
Checking hot plugs and lash
Keeping the nitrous bottles warm and changing them over as needed
Standing around a lot drinking tea while looking busy
Lots of pushing the car up the fire up lane (not fit? you will be!)
Checking tyre pressure levels
Checking suspension settings
More tea drinking, more looking busy
Any job on the car I don't want to do
Watching the racing
Listening to me swear because I set the ignition/timer/carb wrong
Talking bollocks with other crew members/teams
More tea
Sitting in the passenger seat and praying to God during the cruise
Putting the car to bed
Sleeping in a tent/back of car while the driver lounges in support lorry
Eating carpet burgers and rancid bacon butties
Scratching head while looking at engine/gearbox/anything mechanical
Start line duties (hold on, that is serious!)
Commiserating with driver when he f*cks up
Any other crap I can get crew to do instead of me doing it

In an ideal world the driver should never touch anything on the car except the seat, wheel and shifter. That just leaves him to concentrate on driving.
Real world? Its a team effort.

Roadkill

Standing around a lot drinking tea while looking busy

More tea drinking, more looking busy

Talking bollocks with other crew members/teams

More tea

I'm a Project Manager - I can do that !

Roadkill

As long as I don't have to make the tea of course . . . I get the secretary types to do that.

Titsy

Big Mouse

I've had a very kind offer from someone on this forum to help out on the meets that don't clash with shows; still looking for a full time crew as well though

philoldsmobile

Ray,

i'm still working on the steps, and am doing everything in my power to have them ready for easter..

unfortunatley working weeks in the 70 hour region aren't helping, but i;m gonna get there!

sorry for the delay.

i cant reliably offer full time crew services either, as i'm looking to dramaticly reduce my involvment in the car scene this year, but i'm happy to help where i can

Roadkill

Quoting: philoldsmobile
i'm still working on the steps, and am doing everything in my power to have them ready for easter..

The plate is still here, BTW, PhilO.

Big Mouse

i'm still working on the steps, and am doing everything in my power to have them ready for easter.

Cheers Phil - I've lost about a stone in the last 6 weeks so its not as big a problem as it was climbing into the lorry

working weeks in the 70 hour region

lightweight  

FUBAR

working weeks in the 70 hour region

lightweight

Should work for the government m8... I think I did about 35hrs last week

Gotta love flexi-time
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...