888 Gambling Pop ups ?

Started by F Body, March 16, 2007, 04:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

I keep getting 888 Gambling Pop ups when I clicking between the forum posts ?
No every time but about one in four ??
I've checked the add wear programme and pop up blocker etc - all looks OK ?

Anyone else getting any Pop ups

HardRockCamaro

Nope, but my browser has a popup blocker anyways.

ianjpage

nope not hear mate, i would suggest you run something like SpyBot to scan your machine for spyware type programs.........

55starchief

nope, what looks like your infected again

F Body

Dam just happened again :

Bloody Kids Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Titsy

Must be all those 'polishing' websites you look a mate...

ianjpage

55starchief

Ah i see your problem you use intershit explorer, download mozilla or nutscrape

F Body

Just going back to the system restore point at the start of the month, it's probaly big shite but little shite was on the Internet when I came home.

Quoting: Titsy
Must be all those 'polishing' websites you look a mate

For that very reason I ONLY use this computer for :

1/ Car Forum Stuff.

2 / Up loading photos.

3 / Internet banking ( which is pretty pointless with being skint at the moment )

4 / E- Mail.

I going to have a whilst I restore !

50/50 chance of it working

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
Ah i see your problem you use intershit explorer

I use I.E with no problems at all.

Try downloading the Google toolbar - it's useful, free and blocks pop-ups.  

Roadkill

Mind you, that said, mine's showing no blocked pop-ups so you must've been going to some dodgy sites, mate.

55starchief

Quoting: Roadkill
Mind you, that said, mine's showing no blocked pop-ups so you must've been going to some dodgy sites, mate.

thats odd as i go to all sorts of dodgy sites and dont get any pop ups

Losty

thats odd as i go to all sorts of dodgy sites and dont get any pop ups

maybe your "pop up" is too small to be noticed

ianjpage

Roadkill

FUBAR

Quoting: Losty
maybe your "pop up" is too small to be noticed

PMS fkin L thats the hardest (no pun intended) i've laughed at a forum post in quite a while!!!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

Still screwed, the system is set to maximum security and still the dam pop up's appear
It won't let me restore the system to any previous check point either
This despite having even known top dog anti-virus,spam,adware,security system available fitted and running.
The kids will have have been sent something via a friend or installed some crap.
Sorry Peep's but I'm giving up with a home computer, it ain't worth the hassle and I can't afford it

HardRockCamaro

You should reinstall it and use Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for Email.

Do not use IE and Outlook.

That would help.

To be honest chap, the way Windows and viruses and so on are nowadays I would really consider saving up for a cheap Mac.  I'm not saying that as a Mac fanboi, I'm saying it becuase for your purposes it really is a much safer, headache free way of doing it.  You're falling into the trap of buying Windows PC after PC because that's what everyone else has got.
A used Mini under warranty can be yours for under £300.

Cunning Plan

so.. whens your free laptop coming?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Pod

There's no reason why you can't get a Windows machine working properly.

As said already, stop using IE. Same for Outlook.
Do not, repeat NOT use any of the 'toolbars' - Google, Yahoo or anyone's. Uninstall any that are on your machine.
Make sure you have Microsoft Update (not just Windows Update) and that all the necessary updates are installed.
Install and keep up to date a decent anti virus program. Not Norton.
Make sure any program you install comes from the real website, not just the first one that appears on a google search.
Install Firefox (and Thunderbird if you need fancy non-web based email)
Ideally install addons such as NoScript and/or AdBlock (sp?).

That works for me and 300 students at work (when they listen )

55starchief

Both andy and pod have it right. I dont care what anyone says IE is the biggest culprit for junk and Norton just eats system resources.

If you dont want to go the MAC route Ditch IE and Norton and go for AVG as an anti virus program. The free version is excelent.

If you want to go the MAC route

http://www.cancomuk.com/products/search.htm?Brand=Apple&category=01.01.10&code=55896TA&Apple%20Mac%20mini%20G4%201.42GHz%20256MB/80GB/ComboDrive/%2056K%20inc%20OS%20X%2010.4%20-%20Tiger%20%5BRefurb%5D%20\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.cancomuk.com/products/search.htm?Brand=Apple&category=01.01.10&code=55896TA&Apple%20Mac%20mini%20G4%201.42GHz%20256MB/80GB/ComboDrive/%2056K%20inc%20OS%20X%2010.4%20-%20Tiger%20%5BRefurb%5D%20

Just add your monitor and mouse,keyboard and your done

F Body

If you dont want to go the MAC route Ditch IE and Norton and go for AVG as an anti virus program.

Well I've spent in excess of 10 hours, removing IE7 and all other user accounts.
Run Adware professional, Spybot and Win Fix and then downloaded IE7 from Microsoft.
It has to be something that the kids have downloaded and is now somewhere "in" the operating system
We don't use Outlook for e-mail, I just use the NTL ( now Virgin ) e-mail host page.
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
You should reinstall it and use Firefox for browsing

How do I get Firefox from a known good source ( free ) ?

All a windows PC needs is a restore to start function, i.e as it was unpacked straight out of the box setting, which removes every single trace of anything added or changed
Ok so it would be a bit of hassle to add the printer drivers and a few other programmes again, but at least you could start again !
Yes before you ask I've done system restore 3 times and it doesn't make any difference

I've just got better things to do with my life and money than spend 2 days wanking around with a bloody 1 month old computer, which is supposed to be fully protected.

Pod

Quoting: F Body
How do I get Firefox from a known good source ( free ) ?

http://www.mozilla.com\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.mozilla.com

Quoting: F Body
I've just got better things to do with my life and money than spend 2 days wanking around with a bloody 1 month old computer

You wouldn't like my job then.

F Body

Thanks Pod I'm now running Firefox instead of IE7 Ok

Do I have to do anything else

F Body

Help ?

I've set Firefox up to remember my MKB forum log which is nice and easy, however I can write a meesage or reply and click sign in/post message

What I can't do anymore is edit ?

I'm shown as logged in and even if I log in again the edit option doesn't appear ??

Any ideas my geeky friends ?

NB : It's only taken me two hours to mess this one up