Can't find a Petrol Station ?

Started by F Body, August 27, 2007, 01:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Well hardly surprising seeing as Britain now has less than 9500 filling stations countrywide, the same number that it had in 1912
The Petrol Retailers Association (PRA) said over 150 forecourts have already closed this year, and the PRA believes that the situation could become critical if the decline continues.
Don't know how many cars we had on the road in 1912 but I bet it was a lot less than the current 30.6m
So never mind the price or the queuing soon you may not even be able to find a Petrol Station

http://motoring.reuters.co.uk/reuters/vocmain.jsp?lnk=101&id=2360\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://motoring.reuters.co.uk/reuters/vocmain.jsp?lnk=101&id=2360

Roadkill

Quoting: F Body
9500 filling stations . . .  in 1912  

Feck !

That I struggle to believe . . .

Jamieg285

Quoting: Roadkill
9500 filling stations . . . in 1912

Feck !

That I struggle to believe . . .

Initially, yes I'd agree.

But thinking about it, this was a boom period for motoring.  A 'filling station' wouldn't be anything like what we have now, but would most likely be a single pump at the village garage.

F Body

Quoting: Jamieg285
but would most likely be a single pump at the village garage.

Or even poured from a Barrel

But..............we have just three Petrol stations now serving the East side of Luton hence the reason there are always queues

FUBAR

MK is still doing OK for petrol Stations, I can only thinkof a couple that have closed since as long as I can remember and i've been here nearly 25 years!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

F Body

Quoting: FUBAR
MK is still doing OK for petrol Stations, I can only thinkof a couple that have closed since as long as I can remember and i've been here nearly 25 years!

At least six Petrol stations in and around Luton town centre have closed and there are no Supermarket stations to replace them

On our side of town also covering the airport are Asda ( they run out of fuel if it get's very busy ) Shell ( long queues even after midnight ) and up at Stopsley a few miles there is a Total ( when ever I go in there the computers aren't working and they will only take cash ).

Kenny

I can remember when hanslope (at the time probably less that 1000 houses) had 2 petrol stations with about 2 pumps each).

We're so spoiled for pumps in Leighton Buzzard (theres 4 petrol stations within a mile of my house, maybe more)  it's difficult to imagine what it must be like in Luton.

F Body

Quoting: Kenny
it's difficult to imagine what it must be like in Luton.

Try living with it

Seems to be the same story as Luton in the Stockport area where the in-laws are

So may be MK is the petrol capital of Britain

Roadkill

Yup, it's pretty good.

The North west side (stony) is a bit poor for petrol stations, though . . .

ianjpage

Hmm dunno swindon is very well catered for....

Within 5 mins of our house we have a sainsbury's, shell, Asda 24hr, total, Texaco and then on way to work i pass another 4 stations!!

philoldsmobile

we have petrol stations coming out of the wazoo.....

2 tesco
1 sainsburys
1 gulf
2 BP
2 esso

most are 24 hour too....

Fieldy

I love living in London, Loads here! Never have to wait either

F Body

Yup, it's pretty good.

Quoting: ianjpage
swindon is very well catered for....
Quoting: philoldsmobile
2 tesco
1 sainsburys
1 gulf
2 BP
2 esso
most are 24 hour too....

Quoting: Fieldy
London, Loads here!

Billy No Petrol

Incursus

The North west side (stony) is a bit poor for petrol stations, though . . .

Not terrible though we have one in Stony, two 5 mins away in Stacy Bushes and err 2? in wolverton inc a tesco's.

Heck you can get anywhere in MK in within 15mins 60mph grid roads and round-a-bouts fortehwin!!!111oneone  

Jamieg285

What I find most annoying about one of the 3 in East Luton is that although it has 12 pumps, they are layed out in a line, so a car that is using one pump blocks another, meaning you can only use 6 of them at any one time.  No wonder there is ALWAYS a queue there.

sixpack2639

No shortage of stations here!! There's at least 2 new ones being built in town right now!!!