Maybe US cars are cleaner than I gave them credit for...

Started by HardRockCamaro, August 31, 2007, 02:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardRockCamaro

OK here's the thing, we all say our cars get low figures during the MOT but what we often forget is that the figures of co2 % and hydrocarbon ppm are just that, a percentage and a parts per million so the actual quantity of junk thrown out of the exhaust will vary depending on how much gas is actually coming out, and more gas has to leave the cylinders of a larger engined car...

Now, lets therefore assume that a 4.6L Cadillac engine throws out around 3.5 times as much exhaust gas as a 1.3L engine (1.3 * 3.5 = 4.45).
So the emissions figures (in terms of percentage and parts per million numbers) for the Cadillac need to be 3.5 times lower than the ones for the 1.3L car.  Otherwise the actual quantity of bad stuff coming out is greater.

As I took the Cadillac for an MOT last weekend I have the figures for it:

CO2% = 0.007%  (Must be lower than 0.3% to pass)

The Caddy is putting out just 2.3% of the legally allowed figure for CO2.  
Very impressive.

But of course if I were to multiply those figures by 3.5 to compare quantity of stuff with a 1.3L car I get:

co2 = 0.025%

So the question is, do 1.3L euro cars cough out less than 0.025% on their MOT test?

Anyone know someone with a modern crappy little 1.3L car that has had an MOT?

F Body

I been looking through the Direct.Gov websites to see if they give an info
They can tell you what the rating is for all new cars and what the MOT limits are, but alas no information on actual readings

Roadkill has the Chavscort

Incursus

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
Anyone know someone with a modern crappy little 1.3L car that has had an MOT?

titsys got a crapy little 1.6L focus.

Kenny

rachels 1.5 hyundai (52) pumps out 0.01% @ 2555rpm & 0.00% @ 789rpm

pass rate is 0.20% @ 2555rpm & 0.30% @ 789rpm

her HC level was 3ppm @ 2555rpm