Engine Change - VOSA??

Started by Cunning Plan, October 31, 2007, 10:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunning Plan

A lad boi racer down in customer services recons that you have to tell VOSA and get them to inspect your car if you change its engine....

Now ive been around the Vdub scene where you basically put anything in your van that works, for years, and more recently the yank scene where crate motors etc are popular...  I swapped the engine on my van and all I did was told my insurance and updated my V5 to reflect the new engine size...  

What is he talking about?  
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

Never heard of that one, as longs as the logbook is right for the size i cant see a problem

nothing on the VOSA site, i guess he needs to cut back on the crack

Cunning Plan

Quoting: 55starchief
Never heard of that one, as longs as the logbook is right for the size i cant see a problem

nothing on the VOSA site, i guess he needs to cut back on the crack

Just what I thought

What a  He drives a boi-racer'd Fiesta that looks like a roller-skate :ricer: and obviously thinks he knows more about cars than he does even though he let on hes one of these 'i take it to the garage to do anything to my car - but im a car enthusiast' people.  (within reason - i know some people cant work on their own car as its a daily driver etc, so need it right first time, but atleast have a go at changing a bulb or something, right?!)

ianjpage

Quoting: Cunning Plan
:ricer:

Cunning Plan

art b

i bet most people dont even get the v5 changed....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

philoldsmobile

the only time he *may* have a point is if its had a change of engine type, to one that was not originally there...

(such as my V8 cortina)

there is a point scoring system for modified vehicles, if certain major components are changed it can be basis for a Q registration. the chassis / body scores a certain amount of points, then the engine, gearbox, and axle

for example, if you have a ford pop, but change the engine, axle and gearbox for yank or modern euro components, technically it should be re registered on a Q plate, as it doesn't retain enough of the car to keep its registration number.

55starchief

I thought that was only if you built the vehicle from components and the registered it? because by the same parts being purchased as brand new you could register the car on a 07 plate with enough points

philoldsmobile

nope, applies to any vehicle with a major component change.. the shell / chassis is the biggest single one, if you re shell a vehicle, you cannot keep its original reg number

its done to prevent ringing.. but also means that 90% of hotrods on the road are illegal.

55starchief

So as i said if you bought a ford pop chassis then installed all brand new running gear you could register it as a new vehicle providing everything was purchased NEW

philoldsmobile

So as i said if you bought a ford pop chassis then installed all brand new running gear you could register it as a new vehicle providing everything was purchased NEW

yup, if it was a brand new repo chassis, same with an MGB built from new parts...

the law is an absolute minefield though...

art b

my kit car had the reg from the doner vehicle,
was svad and as it was "new" ,did not need an mot for 3 years.......but did not get a new reg number..........how bloody confusing
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile

yup, if it was a brand new repo chassis, same with an MGB built from new parts...

What about a chassis that has been stripped of its original registration mark

philoldsmobile

yah, its VERY confusing, and the chances of properly regestering a modified or kit car are quite slim, the only ones that seem to be totaly on the ball are caterham and westfield. it seems normal to regester them with a new reg number..

VOSA is an absolute mess if you dig through it.... the reality is that as long as the vehicle is safe, and the chassis number doesn't relate to a stolen vehicle, yer fine

philoldsmobile

What about a chassis that has been stripped of its original registration mark

don't *think* you can do that... i remember when we built the caterhams for palmersport with the k series in them, the engines were not allowed to be used on the road because part of the engine mount necessitated the removal of the engine number - in itself totally illegal.

55starchief

There was a craze a few years back of buying up classics and selling the reg numbers leaving a car that had no identity thats what i meant

philoldsmobile

i looked into the law a while ago to determine if my cortina was ok on its old plate (it was as the engine / tranny was the ONLY change - not even brakes or steering), but it just crushes your inner child and you loose the will to live.....

dont know if its still the same though..

rebeltrucker

If you re-shell a damaged/repairable vehicle, yes you CAN keep the original reg.
Changing the engine in a car is not a notifiable item, unless there is a change in displacement.

philoldsmobile

There was a craze a few years back of buying up classics and selling the reg numbers leaving a car that had no identity thats what i meant

ahh, if you sell the reg number the car is re registerd because it retains its VIN number..

reg number is only part of the vehicle identification

philoldsmobile

Quoting: rebeltrucker
If you re-shell a damaged/repairable vehicle, yes you CAN keep the original reg.
Changing the engine in a car is not a notifiable item, unless there is a change in displacement.

i assume as long as its the only major change?

i know there is only so much you can change before the car needs a new identification.

philoldsmobile

this is all getting a little off the point though, yes, and engine change in itself doesn't mean the car has to be inspected by vosa, but a radical ammount of modification can do..

at the end of the day, my understanding of it (and thats by no means authoritative) is that what vosa are looking out for is a NEW car (as in not an existing one, not necessarily new parts) being built around an existing shell..

i do know for sure though, that modify it enough and it may need a new (Q) reg

philoldsmobile

from DVLA

"15. A rebuilt vehicle may keep its identity provided it retains enough of the original components, including the unmodified or new chassis/monocoque body-shell. It must also contain at least two major components from the
original vehicle. The major components are currently considered to be the suspension (front and back), axles (both), transmission, steering assembly, engine. If a second-hand or modified chassis/monocoque body-shell is used, a 'Q' registration mark will be issued and the vehicle will be subject to type approval."

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/consultations/summ_190404.pdf\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/consultations/summ_190404.pdf

the way i read it is that if you re shell a vehicle with a used shell it must have a Q - it can only keep its reg if it is a new shell..