Traders Insurance - (Motorama???)

Started by Cunning Plan, October 15, 2007, 11:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunning Plan

Sold my old van the other day and was talking to the dude who bought it about insurance and the amount of vechicles he owns..

He was 23 and has traders insurance for around 600 quid a year it enables him to drive any car at any time  I said what about if they ask about trading and he said just make it up....  Although I probablly sell privatly a few cars a year anyway..  I get bored

Im paying like 650 for my Ford Mondeo Estate..  BUT that doesnt even include me to drive any other cars    So does anyone know a good company worth trying to get traders insurance with?  Im thinking this is a good thread for motorama as he has a new car every 5 minutes...  While you were reading this post he has already bought another one..  
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

As far as i know traders policy only covers you to drive the car not if the car you arnt driving is stolen or hit, also lying to the insurance company would make the policy void.

If you need to insure more than one car you need to get a multicar policy which more and more mainstream companies offer but dont try mixing modern and classic

Big Mouse

All the insurers look very closely at this sort of policy nowadays; too many people abused it in the past. Unless you are a genuine trader I doubt you'd even get a foot in the door.

Motorama

I used to be really easy to get a traders policy but as has been said already they have clamped down on it somewhat. Also because of the new Motor Vehicle Database the Police, DVLA and Insurance companies use you have to inform your Ins. Co. of any vehicle in your posession more than 14 days.

Also bear in mind if you have a total loss you will only get trade/trade in value for the car. I doubt you'll get windscreen cover.

I have heard of policies for £600-£700 but they cover very little when the shit hits the fan.

My policy is circa £2000 a year at present although i had it tailored to me and its quite comprehensive. This covers me any number of vehicles up to a max of £75k with each vehicle bing no more than £15k, covers my truck fully comp, covers my trailer for theft and covers vehicles on the trailer for damage whilst in transit.

Trade policies load quite heavily for LHD and Canadian/American vehicles.

If you go for a budget trade policy in the £600-£700 range be sure and read all the small print and make sure you are covered in the way you want. Brokers will tell you anything to get your money, make sure its all in writing

Motorama

Quoting: Cunning Plan
Im thinking this is a good thread for motorama as he has a new car every 5 minutes... While you were reading this post he has already bought another one..

I missed that bit first time i read it

Actually i havent bought anything today but i did buy a Chevy Suburban yesterday and a 60 Boo Ick on Saturday!