For you Tenants.

Started by F Body, November 29, 2007, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

House sharing has become a way of life for many renters who have been priced out of the property market. But coping with fellow house mates' odd behavior can lead to extreme responses says's the BBC.

OK Boy's who licked the Cheese

They also say that there can be clear social benefits to being thrust together with others - relationships and marriages are an up side

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7117581.stm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7117581.stm

Titsy

Quoting: F Body
They also say that there can be clear social benefits to being thrust together with others - relationships and marriages are an up side

Don't get any ideas Chris.... That's not my bag...

art b

Quoting: F Body
But coping with fellow house mates' odd behavior

im sure that being polite, a couple of teenagers is enough here for me....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

I also lick my cheese...
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

FUBAR

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Cunning Plan
I also lick my cheese

you missing ribs?  

55starchief

Quoting: Titsy
Don't get any ideas Chris.... That's not my bag...

Well we all know who the bitch would be

Big Mouse

Thats why I don't take sharers anymore - 90% are more trouble than they're worth so its not worth taking the risk to find the 10% that respect the house

F Body

Quoting: Big Mouse
90% are more trouble than they're worth so its not worth taking the risk to find the 10% that like Man sausage

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Quoting: Big Mouse
Thats why I don't take sharers anymore

Generally much higher risk but generally higher income.  Of course depends on the property and situation.  If it's a $hithole in the first place it's ripe for multi-letting to spotty students and who gives a crap if it gets trashed - as long as there's a healthy monthly income.
If the person letting is in it for the long term gains he/she obviously doesn't want his/her investment wrecked hence families or professional couples make a far safer bet, although monthly income is lower.

Of course, there's always some risk involved . . . but if there wasn't everyone would be doing it !

Big Mouse

Oh I agree the income can be much higher but you also have to take into acount the recent HMO rules when the letting involves three or more tenants making up two or more households; when they share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet. A landlord can be put into that position if his tenants sublet a room even without his knowledge!

Then it gets messy as you have to license the property with the local council; fit electrical fire alarms (not just smoke alarms), full 30 minute self closing fire door set to kitchen and bathrooms; suitable locks on all exit doors i.e. not mortice locks; fire proofing walls, drawing the staircase, boxed in gas meters blah blah blah etc etc . Just way more hassle and expense for the additional income. You can easily spend £50 just on the labels and signs that have to be fixed everywhere

Most of my landlords just don't want to spend the (huge amounts) of money needed to comply; a 3 bed house could cost upwards of £3-4000 just to get in into basic compliance. Takes a long time to get that back

Roadkill

I knew fire regs were starting to get silly but some of that is just daft.

Irritating thing is they think of more stupid things to add on on a regular basis so you'd never be 100% in compliance no matter how hard you tried !