today i have been mostly making........

Started by philoldsmobile, December 15, 2007, 06:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philoldsmobile

speaker stands!

gotta clean up the welds on the bases, and finish the brushing, but they are basicly there, and absolutely perfect height against my chair, with the tweeters at eye / ear level!

F Body

What did you say we can't hear you

Bet next door would have preferred the headphone option

philoldsmobile

pah, hifi is about quality, not volume..

for those that dont know, that CD player is an Arcam, made in england, using no jap components at all - philips transport (austrian) and burr brown chipset (american)

might look a bit cheep......it wasn't!

55starchief

Alpha 7 or 8?

Did you fill the stands? if not lead shot is bes, you also ned to spike them and bluetak the spakers to the top plates

Roadkill

Quoting: 55starchief
if not lead shot is bes

What about sand ?

philoldsmobile

Alpha 7 or 8?

Did you fill the stands? if not lead shot is bes, you also ned to spike them and bluetak the spakers to the top plates

alpha 7 SE +

the stands were designed to be filled, but as yet empty, i plan on filling them with either concrete or playpit sand. the box is 4mm wall thickness, so they are already heavier than my old stands after they were filled..

the tops of the stands have 6mm thick foam rubber gasket on them, the speakers are nicer and secure..

i also plan on fitting spikes to the bottom, gonna machine them at lunch time monday..

philoldsmobile

just a word for arcam customer service, right near the end of the 2 year warranty the player stopped reading some CD's and was returned to them. there was a wait for a part, so as a means of good will they upgraded the player from 7 SE  to 7 SE + spec free of charge..

any idea if the upgrade to alpha 9 is still available? i love the way you can buy the base model, and upgrade it with just the difference in purchace price, thats a great idea

philoldsmobile

Quoting: Roadkill
What about sand ?

sand works well, but lead shot is denser... the key is weight, the stands want to be as heavy as possible..

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile

sand works well, but lead shot is denser... the key is weight, the stands want to be as heavy as possible..

Actualy the best thing is atabites from atacama, althugh those are nothing more than the flashing from the point of nails when the are made I probably have a couple of buckets full at work.

Foam pads dont work as well as bletak as they decouple the speaker from the stand ublike bluetak that bonds it making the stand an extension of the cabinet

55starchief

Quoting: philoldsmobile

any idea if the upgrade to alpha 9 is still available? i love the way you can buy the base model, and upgrade it with just the difference in purchace price, thats a great idea

Not sure, i used to be friendly with the export sales manager there a guy called jeff mead but havnt spoken to him in an age.

Oh an if you want spikes i have about 30k of them at the factory so i am sure we wont miss 8

philoldsmobile

that would be much appreciated mate, thanks..

art b

Actualy the best thing is atabites from atacama

that just wot i was gonna suggest....

i thought it was a camel from the sudan...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

Don't use concrete in the stands . . . that's a can of worms best left unstirred . . . .

philoldsmobile