Main Menu

Ouch!!!

Started by Big Mouse, April 04, 2008, 06:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mouse

Decided to drive the camaro over to Rushden yesterday to Webster Race Engineering to have the new diff gears installed.

According to Multimap its 24.33 miles door to door, so 48.66 return journey. I also took the car up the by pass for 4.2 miles to bed the gears in after the install before going home. A total journey of 52.86 miles (speedo showed 53)  

Now this is not the type of car that you drive at stupid speeds on the road in less than perfect conditions so I took it relatively easy on the way over there, just giving it a little blast along the newport pagnell by pass once I could see the lay-by wasn't contaminated by a speed greed  camera.

On the way back, with new gears I took it easy for the first 15 miles not going over 40; another little blast on the by pass for no more than 1/8 mile to see how she pulled with the new gears - if you thought it was quick before its now scary quick - and then it was home for a nice cup of tea............

........and to check the fuel consumption.

52 miles - £35 worth of BP Ultimate fuel used!!!  £1.51 per mile

55starchief

mmmmmmmmmmm 7mpg

ianjpage

Quoting: Big Mouse

52 miles - £35 worth of BP Ultimate fuel used!!! £1.51 per mile

WOW - knew it was expensive of fuel but thats rather a lot!!!

- if you thought it was quick before its now scary quick

Excelllent - so its had the desired effect than and perked the car up a bit!!

Big Mouse

Quoting: 55starchief
mmmmmmmmmmm 7mpg

only if I take it easy - bear in mind this does 50mph at 2000rpm. I reckon if I was to use the loud pedal most of the way I could easily get that into the several gallons per mile rather than the other way around.

Anyone fancy pushing it over to the meet on sunday

55starchief

Me thinks its time to go the E85 route mate i still need to get the metering blocks shipped across for the poncho, have started to build the motor now

Big Mouse

Quoting: ianjpage
Excelllent - so its had the desired effect than and perked the car up a bit!!  

Oh just a bit
I didn't think it would make that much difference going from a 3.50:1 to a 3.70:1 but it picks up much earlier at lower rpm. Jon was explaining how Street Eliminator cars take advantage of the change in a more efficient way as the tc locks up quicker because of the 400 or so higher rpm where we would normally expect the converter to flare a bit more at lower speeds.

See what the weathers like Sunday and you can try it out

F Body

Hardcore

ianjpage

Oh just a bit

excellent !!

lets hope for good weather then !!!!

Roadkill

I didn't think it would make that much difference going from a 3.50:1 to a 3.70:1

Mine's got 3.73:1 . . . . I believe PhilO's had 3.23:1 . . . mine was noticeable quicker - even with a shot motor . . .

Unfortunately the motor's screaming at 110mph !

You have to keep it under 70mph if you want to see any "economy" . . .

It'll be interesting to see how it behaves with the LT1.

art b

worth every penny id imagine
smiles per mile  
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Titsy

52 miles - £35 worth of BP Ultimate fuel used!!! £1.51 per mile

I'm not sure on your maths there Ray...

£35 / 52miles = 67.3p per mile

F Body

Quoting: Titsy
£35 / 52miles = 67.3p per mile

Still cheaper than my Z28 at £2.78 per mile

NB : That's all in cost

Big Mouse

Doh!! done the calculation wrong way around - in my defence I was still in shock

philoldsmobile

i prefer my alfa's more palatable 35mpg thanks!  

Fieldy

Quoting: philoldsmobile
i prefer my alfa's more palatable 35mpg thanks!  

Dude, you cannpt compare your Alfa to that Camaro

Big Mouse

Quoting: Fieldy
Dude, you cannpt compare your Alfa to that Camaro

Unless the camaro breaks down

Sorry mate

Motorama

Decided to drive the camaro over to Rushden yesterday to Webster Race Engineering to have the new diff gears installed.

Was that Thursday, we saw you. We were going the other way in a blue 05 Dodge Ram towing an empty car trailer, on our way to Eadys to look at a motor.

Big Mouse

Quoting: Motorama
Was that Thursday, we saw you. We were going the other way in a blue 05 Dodge Ram towing an empty car trailer, on our way to Eadys to look at a motor

Yeah that was me, I saw the Ram but didn't recognise it - will next time .

Motorama

Quoting: Motorama
Was that Thursday, we saw you. We were going the other way in a blue 05 Dodge Ram towing an empty car trailer, on our way to Eadys to look at a motor

Yeah that was me, I saw the Ram but didn't recognise it - will next time .

The Camaro looked and sounded awsome mate

Big Mouse

Thanks - it was nice to get in it and enjoy driving it with the T tops off and listen to the exhaust noise bouncing off the walls through Olney High Street - got a little bit naughty at the zebra crossing when I pulled up behind the Porsche in front of me and gave the engine a little 'blip' in time with his, funny enough he only did it the once.

FUBAR

funny enough he only did it the once.

nice one
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...