The Iroc is almost ready, just need some help

Started by CJ-IROCZ, April 26, 2008, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ-IROCZ

I had some bubbling on one of the rear arch's and so the car has been at the bodyshop for the last 5 weeks.

I went to pick the car up today and given the fact that the red paint has had some fading over the years, they've done a nice job. The overall body paint isn't perfect but its certainly in a good presentable state.

I have also had the wheels professionally polished and the same company that sprayed the car also sprayed the inlays and this is where i'm having a problem. I went to pick the car up today and the wheels are terrible, the paint has not bonded to the wheels at all, it was actually flacking of as i was touching it. The owner said that they were having a nightmare getting the paint to bond but he has now kept the car and is going to have another bash at getting it right He said he used the proper alloy etcher anyone had similar problems ??

Also i'm wondering what is the best products to use to blacken the insides of the wheel arch's ? there is some slight over spray and to be honest all 4 arch's would benefit from it.

On the whole the car is getting there but I think i'm worring to much about getting the car A1. I really need to sell but am not sure about how far i should be going with her to get my target price. As it stands the car needs a headliner and a small rip in the drivers repairing, which shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to put her up for sale around the £3800 mark but can i expect this price  with the paint being slightly faded and it needed a headliner ????

Here's a pick taken this morning. note the car has not been washed or polished

55starchief

Just black aerosol paint is fine to hide over spray

CJ-IROCZ

will that adhere to the underseal (black bumpy stuff) that is already there ? if so that sounds like a quick fix to me

55starchief

Quoting: CJ-IROCZ

will that adhere to the underseal (black bumpy stuff) that is already there ? if so that sounds like a quick fix to me

Yup should do, well long enough until some one jet washes it anyways

CJ-IROCZ

also, the passenger door that you see in the pic is inset slightly from the rest of the car, i think about 2 mm . Are the doors adjustable or can they be packed out ?? if you look closely where the rear of the door meets the quater panel you can see what i mean, its the same where the door meets the front wing too.

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: 55starchief
Yup should do, well long enough until some one jet washes it anyways

what is the black lumpy stuff ?? i'd prefer to do a proper job

Roadkill

Also i'm wondering what is the best products to use to blacken the insides of the wheel arch's ?

Two words :

Stone chip.

It's cheap and sticks to anything.

Roadkill

what is the black lumpy stuff ?? i'd prefer to do a proper job

Kind of.

As long as you give the arches a good clean first it'll be fine.

I've done it to several of mine . . . .

CJ-IROCZ

Gator

just go over the arches with brush on underseal

the doors should be ajustable at the hinges and the striker, its a pita to do

Rocky

For the door move the striker out slightly, for the front if you have a bit of a gap down the bonnet to wing losen the wing bolts and bonnet hinge and move in slightly.This is the easiest way if not you will need to shim the door hinge.

CJ-IROCZ

Ideal guys, thanks  

I'll have a stab at that when I get the sodding car back

art b

Quoting: Gator
just go over the arches with a turnip dipped in underseal

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

philoldsmobile

i used halfords satin black in the inner arches of dads tahoe to glitz it up when it was used for a wedding about 5 years ago.. the paint is still there and absolutely perfect, no flaking at all, despite several jet washes.

FUBAR

Also i'm wondering what is the best products to use to blacken the insides of the wheel arch's ? there is some slight over spray and to be honest all 4 arch's would benefit from it

POR15 Rust Preventative Paint.

It dries to a smooth, glassy black finish and will also stop rust.  Its all over the underside of the IROC

Edit: however don't use it on the plastic liners in the front arches, it comes unstuck after a few weeks.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

CJ-IROCZ

Quoting: FUBAR
POR15 Rust Preventative Paint

I'll have a session under the car with this stuff then.

Gator

are the arches undersealed already mate ?

CJ-IROCZ

Yes they are Steve, Its just one arch thats got some overspray where the repair has been done so i thought i'd re do all 4

Roadkill

Make sure you don't spray the plastic guards in the front arches.

Sprayed plastic always looks bad.

Gator

Yes they are Steve, Its just one arch thats got some overspray where the repair has been done so i thought i'd re do all 4

thought so

i wouldnt spend a fortune painting them with POR 15 (sorry Ryan) coz it wont stick and whats the point when you just want to paint over up some overspray

underseal and a brush 5 mins per wheel and no masking and its whats supposed the be there anyway or stonechip like Dean said

Roadkill

POR15 ain't cheap.  I agree - if it's just a tart-up £5's enough spent.