Motorists urged not to panic buy ?

Started by F Body, April 20, 2008, 03:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Talk about waving a red flag at a bull

Motorists have been urged not to panic buy fuel amid warnings that the shutdown of Scotland's only crude oil refinery could lead to shortages.

Ineos claims it could have to close its refinery at Grangemouth for a month on safety grounds ahead of a two day strike by 1,200 members of the Unite union.

Industry analysts told the BBC that there is no need for drivers to stock up with petrol at the pumps.

Let the queuing begin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7357106.stm\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7357106.stm

FUBAR

Haven't they learned yet!! These things tend to become a self fullfilling prophecy.

they'll still use it as an excuse to add a few pence to each ltr for a few months
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Rob

Quoting: FUBAR
they'll still use it as an excuse to add a few pence to each ltr for a few months

Yep....then they'll conveniently forget to drop the price back down again thus keeping it artificially high.

Roadkill

Quoting: Rob
then they'll conveniently forget to drop the price back down again thus keeping it artificially high

Just like interest rates on mortgages.

Cunning Plan

More from PH...

Fuel Protest Threat

Campaigners threaten to bring country to its knees over spiralling fuel costs

Previous protests have caused chaos
Previous protests have caused chaos
Campaigners are secretly planning a number of fuel protests in a bid to stop further rises in petrol duty.

It is feared the country could see similar chaotic scenes to 2000, when motorists began panic-buying fuel.

A planned 2p increase in fuel duty is planned for October but campaigners have promised demonstrations across the country to create as much havoc as possible.

The demonstrations would coincide with a two-day strike being staged by workers at a major oil refinery in Scotland.

It is understood that 1,200 workers at the Ineos refinery will walk out on April 27 and 28 to protest over pensions.

If the campaigners go ahead with protests on the same day it is feared supplies could be crippled as early as Friday.

Last night, co-chairman of the People's Fuel Lobby, Mark Francis, said: 'We are getting taxed to the hilt to pay for unnecessary spending by this government.

'People will no doubt remember what happened in 2000.

'We hope this protest, along with the planned strike, will be as big, if not bigger.

'We fully expect motorists to fill their cars in advance and as more people fill up, the quicker the forecourts will run out.'

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=23&t=524283\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=23&t=524283

IMHO, if anyone protesting about anything was not condemed as being a terrorist, then a protest may take place.  As it is, you wont get the blockaids like we had back in 2000..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

art b

its much like the medias hyping of the "credit crunch"
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

55starchief

Quoting: art b

its much like the medias hyping of the "credit crunch"

well judging by business in the USA i had forecast this last year and the worst is yet to come. We are usualy about 12 months behind the USA and our current position is where the it was last year. Things arnt gonna get any better in the coming 12 months. But hey if you think im talking hype i will have a little wager with you

Fieldy

Quoting: 55starchief
All i can say is diesel FTW

Rob

So that doesn't come from the refinery then....?

55starchief

Quoting: Rob

So that doesn't come from the refinery then....?

Yeah but cooking oil doesnt

Big Mouse

I'd avoid BP at Stacey Bushes at the moment too - I nearly got caught out by them this morning when I went to fill up; I normally buy from Shell across the road because they are generally 1p a litre cheaper but they had pump problems so being an impatient sort of man I went over to BP where diesel was a tantamount-to-theft 117.p per litre. I was halfway through filling up when I noticed the read ou on the pump was saying 118.0 per litre. At first I thought I'd picked up the Ultimate diesel by mistake but I hadn't.

When I went to pay I asked for the 1p per litre difference to be knocked off the bill - my Merc takes 80+ litres. The pond life behind the counter looks at me vacantly and says thats the price. I point to the advertising hoarding at the front of the garage that says 117.9, remind him that it is illegal to advertise a product at one price and charge another so again request my 1p difference.  

What seemed like several hours then passed along with a lot of tumbleweed followed by him repeating in his charming monosyllabic grunts what he had already said and could I enter my pin number to pay for the fuel. When I shook my head he asked if he was missing something.

A large part of your cerebellum I immdeiately thought but instead I said 'No, I refuse to pay, and frankly any of these other people in here who have just paid over the odds for their fuel shouldn't either'

Cue lots of other people looking at their sales tickets. The manager then comes out and says I have to pay for fuel if I've filled up. 'Fine' says me, 'just let me have your name for the papers so I can get it right when I call them'

So I got my 77p. I'm not normally tight for money but when I spend an average of £600 per month on fuel now - before i start putting anything in Big Mouse - I think I'm entitled to get back anything I can.

there was a small queue forming as I left

Cunning Plan

Quoting: Big Mouse
So I got my 77p. I'm not normally tight for money but when I spend an average of £600 per month on fuel now - before i start putting anything in Big Mouse - I think I'm entitled to get back anything I can.

F Body

BP where diesel was a tantamount-to-theft 117.p per litre. I was halfway through filling up when I noticed the read ou on the pump was saying 118.0 per litre.

Yup there are a few retailers rounding up to the nearest penny now which as you said is illegal

Funny how it's always round up and not rounding down

Rob

So I got my 77p.

Fair play to ya......

HardRockCamaro

I filled the Caddy today as it was on fumes.

They were all out of diesel so you'd have been flat out of luck...

Then again I had to fill up with regular 95RON unleaded and it was 108.9 per litre.

And that's not even regular plonk, that's Tesco economy plonk!

I have begun to noice that Tesco is one of the dearest places to buy fuel in my area.
Esso always seem to be among the cheapest...

55starchief

Quoting: HardRockCamaro

They were all out of diesel so you'd have been flat out of luck...

Quoting: HardRockCamaro
that's Tesco economy plonk!

tesco cooking oil

Titsy

tesco cooking oil

Thst's more expensive than diesel now...

F Body

F Body

No petrol or diesel in Luton

Loads out Norfolk way so I threw 62 litres of Shell V Power into the Zee

Cunning Plan

EDGE

no diesel in south woodford last night.... oh marvelous.....

paid £1.22.9 in east London... !!!

Fieldy

I paid £122.9 last night on the Motorway and thought it was bad