What polishing cloths

Started by Jamieg285, June 25, 2008, 03:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamieg285

Being as there are a few experts (and an addict ) on here:

What are the best types of cloth to use when polishing?  Which for application, which for removal etc?

FUBAR

I just use that stuff you get on a roll from Halfords... does me fine
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

art b

an old pair of y fronts....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

EDGE

i use the big box or terry towl cloths from costco.  They are very very good for all jobs and you get 60 for £18, they can be machine washed to so they go on forever.

Any premium hotel grade 100% cotton cloth is good, these terry towl ones are just awesome..

F Body

Quoting: FUBAR
I just use that stuff you get on a roll from Halfords... does me fine

Nah that leaves loads of threads from the cut ends

Quoting: art b
an old pair of y fronts....

Lets hope you wash them first

Quoting: EDGE
i use the big box or terry towl cloths from costco.

I use those for dirty jobs, oil/tar and Autosol etc but they are far to rough to use for polishing

I ONLY use micro fibre cloths for putting polish on and off

You can buy a large pack of yellow ones from Costco ( £16 I think ? ) or buy the cheap 5 packs for a pound up North. There isn't really much diffrence between them, except the Costco ones seem to wash better

FUBAR

Quoting: F Body

Not if you shake the living sh!t out of it first... all over the front garden of course
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

art b

Not if you shake the living sh!t out of it first

thats wot to do, with the y fronts....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Incursus

Quoting: art b
Not if you shake the living sh!t out of it first

thats wot to do, with the y fronts....

Jamieg285

I just use that stuff you get on a roll from Halfords.

Just coming to the end of my roll...

Quoting: F Body

Hence the question to find the best thing to replace it with.

Not if you shake the living sh!t out of it first... all over the front garden of course

Tried that, stuff still ends up all over the car

I think I'll look into the Costco stuff as it's had a couple of recommendations.

HardRockCamaro

Meguiars recommend 100% cotton hotel grade terry towels to remove product or a microfibre cloth.

For application I like their little yellow sponge pads.  Somehow I seem to use less product when using them too which is a financial bonus...

55starchief

I used to have a dustbin full of microfiber clothes, aston martin use them once and bin them, my mate used to get them for me but i just abused them and binned them lol

VIPER

Meguiars recommend 100% cotton hotel grade terry towels to remove product or a microfibre cloth.

For application I like their little yellow sponge pads. Somehow I seem to use less product when using them too which is a financial bonus...

Thats what i use.....

Rocky

You should use a sponge pad to apply and microfibre to remove, the sponge doesnt put any micro scratches in the paint. depends what your applying though as polish and wax are different.

Jamieg285

Quoting: Rocky
depends what your applying though as polish and wax are different.

I'm going to show my ignorance now, and ask what's the difference?

How should you apply wax?  I've never used it before, but did win a tin at a show last year.

F Body

Quoting: Jamieg285
How should you apply wax? I've never used it before,

I'd didn't think you were a Virgin

Well in at the deep end then because white isn't the easiest of colours to polish

It's very difficult to get an even colour if it's not been polished before or is stained

Break out the T Cut first then

Rocky

Polish absorbs into the paint like a moisturiser to give a wet look gloss but offers no protection you then use a wax to seal it in and it offers UV protection,
You can get a polish/wax in one but they are never as good.

55starchief

TCUT is the work of the devil, you wont find me using that crap get a proper cutting compund like G10 or G3 if its really bad. Then Carnuba wax is the ultimate wax but its hard work and lastly you never polish in circles, straight lines as plishing in circles creates swirl marks so dont be wax on wax off karate kid style And if your truly hardcore then claybar before waxing

Rocky

I go in circles on large panels as like on block sanding straight lines leaves tram lines.
Wax is none abrasive so you wont damage the paint.